Living in a glass house

iVillage Member
Living in a glass house
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:48pm

My husband has a friend who criticizes me for staying home with a toddler. Every time my DH talks to him on the phone, he asks my DH when I am going to get a job. My DH has tried to explain about the costs of daycare & how it wouldn't benefit us much for me to work right now, but he's been asking this for a long time now (about when I will get a job), and he's even lectured me about it as well.  Now, the real irony is this:  this man, who criticizes me for not working, does not work himself!   He quit his job several years ago, and is financially supported by his male partner. And he does not have kids at home to take care of, like I do, but he criticizes me for staying home with my toddler.  What's the old saying? If you live in a glass house, don't throw bricks.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:09am
Big smile on your face. "i have a job. The pay sucks and the hours are often very inconvenient. I do it for the benefits, which are awesome.". Then change the subject. And imagine punching him in the junk when you need to. That will help you keep up the smile. :smileywink:

Kitty

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing."-- Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971 t .

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 1:06pm

I like both Savcal and Mappers responses!  The guy needs to worry about his own self!  

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:19pm
He should say, "She'll get a job 2 weeks after you do."
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:15am
Your dh needs to quit explaining. Don't engage the guy. It's none of his bidness.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1