Cat safety issue!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Cat safety issue!
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 10:57pm

Can anyone help? Our cat currently has free access to the whole house and normally sleeps in our bedroom but goes in and out of the cat flap in the kitchen at night. We have been advised to consider how we would prevent him from accessing the child's bedroom when they are sleeping due to risk of suffocation and disease.

I'm thinking that we won't be shutting the childs room door fully so that we can hear them, (and I didnt like my door shut when i was young)! Due to the layout of our (terraced) house the only options we can think of are:
1. some sort of cat proof barrier on the child's room and this may present its own safety issues even if such a thing existed.
2. Shutting the cat in the kitchen at night - he will go berserk scratching at the door to get to us!

Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?!

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:51am
Have you considered a baby gate across the doorway? You wouldn't have to close the door, and the gate would be something you could just as easily open and close.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:59pm
We have baby gates across all of the children's doorways. Not because of needing to keep our cat out but it helps us to keep the little ones in their room and also helps to keep them out of their older brother's room. We keep their doors open (it had a foot pressure open feature and the doors sre difficult to close completely because of it). It would allow you to make sure the cat stays out of the room but if the door is open or does not close all the way it allows you to be able to acess for safety.

Is the agency requiring this of you? we foster/adopted through the local C&Y agency and they never required anything to prevent our two cats from acessing the children's room (we recieved our one son at 8 mos).

Good Luck.

Erin
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:48pm

That is an interesting problem! 

We're dog people so not really sure how to handle cats in general.  In any case, I'd think that cats could jump over baby gates?  I dunno.

Our solution is to keep the children's doors shut.  This is by-far the best option for us and all of the children in our home.  We use baby monitors to hear the children at night so that concern isn't an issue, but closing the door provides many other benefits to us as well.

First, closing the door is safer in the case of a fire - it provides at least a small fire break to give the family a few more minutes to get the children out safely.

Second, we use door chimes installed at the top of the doors to let us know if a door has been opened.  This helps us know if a child is wandering (safety issue) and helps you make sure children aren't going into each others bedrooms at night - it helps keep kids more safe from children who might be predators.   We've also used it as a way to remind the children that we are keeping them safe in their rooms.  It has been an adjustment for some children who are trying to get used to the idea of sleeping with closed doors but it works well for us.  I'd imagine that is the only thing you could do with a cat aside from closing the cat off in another room.

Hope you figure it out!

Photobucket