Baby showers!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Baby showers!
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 1:56am
So I'm due 2/2/13- which is a lil early in the month, but before holiday planning overwhelms me I figured I better start thinking about the baby shower! Since my cervix is thinning and my dr thinks we will have her in january, possibly december (hope not!), do I plan for before holidays? Anyone having an early shower to avoid the pre/post holiday craziness?
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:02am
Oh that's a tough call. I didn't even think about the holidays being in the way of the baby showers! I would probably do it the first week in Jan. It's cutting it close because of your situation but I think more people would be able to come after the holidays. Or maybe the beginning of December. It stinks there are so many holidays all at once!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:08am
My son arrived 6 weeks early... on a Friday the 13th... the day before my baby shower. So, we're having my sprinkle early this time. I'm due February 20, and my sprinkle is November 10. Later than that is too close to the holidays for us (and getting into my travel restricted time). After the holidays is pretty much the "might go into pre-term labor" window.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:19am
Not to totally sound greedy or anything but money-wise, mid-November is probably a good bet. After the holidays people are tapped out and exhausted. You'd probably have more people show in November as well.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:04am

Hi!  I'm from the March EC, due March 8th, but I have been in preterm labor since 14 weeks with modified bed rest.  I have been going for biweekly u/s to keep an eye on my cervix.  Well, the one on Monday showed my cervix had shortened from a steady 35mm to 26mm.  With my last DS, I had a cerclage due to a short cervix, but I'm not eligible for that now with all the contractions.  I now go every week for an u/s until viability at 24 weeks.  *Sigh*

Anyways, I was just wondering how short your cervix is at this point, and if you are on any restrictions?  I know I'm being nosey, but it's hard to find someone else in a similar situation to connect with.  :smileyhappy: 

The thought of having a preemie is very scary!  I have delivered all three boys at term, so have no experience with NICU.  My goal is to make it to at least February, but my doctor thinks even that may be pushing it.  *Sigh again!*

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:57am

My shower will be in early January.  I just didn't want to push it too close to the holidays and deal with people being busy with parties and other things.  My sister wanted to host it in October and I said I'd rather not have it that early.  It really does fall in a crappy time with the holidays.  I had a friend who had her baby the day before her shower that I had planned for her.  I had to deliver her gift to the hospital since I had bought her a carseat! 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 1:57pm
I'm assuming the question about a 34 week delivery was for me. My water broke at 3:30am, and we immediately went to our post hospital (my husband is military). There, they checked me to confirm my water had, indeed, broken and then informed me that I'd have to transfer to a hospital with a NICU for a c-section because the baby was breech. (Him being breech was a surprise because I'd had an appointment the day before, and my OB hadn't mentioned it.) We had two hospitals to choose from, and we chose the one closest to our house. It also happened to be the better rated of the two NICUs, but we didn't know that until we were already there and our son was already born. ADVICE TO ALL MOMS-TO-BE: Even if you aren't planning a change in hospital, do your research. Know what hospitals offer what, how they're rated, etc. That way, you won't be making a blind decision if something does happen.

Toby was born by c-section a little before 7:30am Friday morning. I never felt a single contraction. I had no issues with my spinal. My nurses were wonderful, and I was able to visit Toby in the NICU that afternoon. I wasn't able to hold him until the next morning. He spent 10 days in the NICU. He was perfectly healthy except that his lungs weren't quite developed enough. We did have a couple of scary moments when they had to intubate him for 24 hours in order to let some medicine do its job to help his lungs develop, and we did have a conflict with one nurse who didn't want to explain things to us... but otherwise, it went very smoothly.

I was released from the hospital when Toby was 4 days old. I couldn't drive, but my mom stayed with us so Tom (my husband) could go back to work and save his paternity leave for after Toby came home. Toby was on a feeding schedule of every 3 hours, and approximately half of those feedings fell within NICU visiting hours. We visited for every one we could. (Note: If I had breastfed Toby, we could have visited for every feeding, even outside of NICU hours, but my own medical condition prevented that.)

The biggest piece of advice for anyone who has a preemie birth or a child that has to go to the NICU for any reason is to both trust the doctors AND be proactive. Understand that leaving the hospital without your child will be the hardest thing in the world for you to do, but also understand that it gives both you and your child an opportunity to recover. If you aren't happy with a nurse or a doctor, ask for another one. If you end up with a favorite nurse (we did), ask for that nurse to be assigned to your child whenever possible. TALK to your nurses. We learned SO MUCH about everything that was happening with Toby just by talking to our nurses. All but the one we had an issue with understood that WE were his parents and that WE had a right to know anything we wanted to know.

Most of all, remember that a baby born at 34 weeks is almost certain to be okay. Hang in there.

(Oh, and get yourself some preemie clothes. Even newborn stuff swallowed Toby. If my cousin's wife -- also the mom to a preemie -- hadn't immediately exchanged what she'd bought us for several preemie sleepers and outfits, Toby would have had nothing to wear while in the NICU and for the first couple of months at home.)

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 1:28pm

My sister is throwing my shower in mid January. I would actually prefer to have mine in November, but her schedule is so crazy with work and the holidays that I didn't want to press the issue. I'm just worried that everyone is going to be exhausted by the time January hits and not really be into the spirit of it all.  Plus, I know it's financially diffiult for some people after Christmas and I don't want my shower to be a burden on my friends and family. I would rather them show up with no gift rather then make them feel like they have to over-extend themselves. The one nice thing about having a baby in February is that it gives you something to look forward to after the post-Christmas blahs set in around mid-January.. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:07pm
Another benefit of having a shower in January is that family and friends may be able to get good discounts on the gifts, considering the after Christmas specials and what not.. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 4:13pm

You are so lucky they are doing something for you (referring to the P-shots)! The doctors are all telling me they can't do anything until I'm 24 weeks!   At that point, I can take medications to stop the contractions. 

I hope your LO stays put until full term!  It must be a relief to have hit the point of viability, though.  :smileyhappy:

BTW, on the topic of baby showers, my mom is planning one for me in about the middle of January to give people a little time to regroup after the Holidays.  I think a good friend is planning one for me around Thanksgiving while she is in town.  Not sure, but it feels so early! 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker