Breast pump

iVillage Member
Breast pump
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:24am
We're teetering between too much milk and not enough when LO wants it (darn right side), so I decided to get a pump for some relief here and there. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually preferred the Philips hand pump over the Medela Symphony II they had at the hospital. Lol. Ofc if I were exclusively pumping, it would likely be a different story! The
Philips seems cushionier though. ;-)

How are y'all doing with your pumps? When do you use yours?

- JM

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: txdela
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:06am

I have a Pump In Style Advance but haven't tried it yet.  I heard you shouldn't use one until 6 weeks old.  I've got an appointment with my gallbladder surgeon Wednesday to get that scheduled sometime this month.  I've also got to talk with a lactation consultant to figure out how to feed baby then.  I've got mixed feelings about giving a bottle.  I do not enjoy breastfeeding, but am trying to stick with it.  I'm nervous that I'll enjoy him getting a bottle too much and want to quit breastfeeding.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:53pm
Well Medela does not equal better, even tho for whatever reason they have a reputation of such. The beauty of pumps is that every womans body responds differently to different kinds of pumps and whats comfortable and works for one isnt true for all. If it is comfortable and is expressing for you effectively then you go momma! :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:29pm
Yeah, pumping so early def isn't ideal, but issues arose that made it necessary. (Would severe anemia cause supply issues in the evening?) Funny thing is, she latches best right after an Avent bottle feeding. Normally, she wrestles me for control of the latch on. Her eye-mouth coordination isn't that great yet, though. ;-)

- JM

iVillage Member
In reply to: nvywf4lf
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:04am

ive never heard of pumping early not being a good idea? why is that?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:31am

I'm not sure it's actually the pumping early that can be bad.  I think it's the bottle feeding.  Bottles are easier to eat from so baby might prefer them and not latch on to breast as well.  But it probably depends on the individual baby, I'm sure some do great with early bottles.  But I don't want to chance it.  We tried a pacifier at the end of last week and it caused latch issues over the weekend, and if I try to calm him and delay a feeding by letting him suck on my finger he has latch problems still, so I think my baby wouldn't do well going from bottle to breast.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
In reply to: cavenyee
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 2:31pm
JM--supply is typically lower in the evenings for everyone. It's highest between the hours of 1am-5am, because that's when prolactin levels are highest.

As for pumping too early, it's more about potentially creating oversupply issues. For moms who are going back to work, many start pumping immediately to start freezer stashes. Or in L's case, start pumping to has a stash for surgery. And as mentioned above, supply is highest in the morning, so that's the best time to pump. At a week old, I've got nearly 4oz in the fridge that needs to be frozen. I had no stash last time and other supply issues that caused weight gain, so every LC I've seen since birth has recommended I try to pump at least once a day.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 4:46pm

My gallbladder is scheduled to be removed Tuesday.  So I called the lactation consultant panicing "I have 6 days to learn to pump" lol.  And made an appointment, but can't get there to talk until Monday.  Over phone, she said pumping early wouldn't be a problem.  (Also said that I could still technically breastfeed as soon as anesthesia wears off, but my hospital won't let me, so I need to pump anyway.)  She said to feed baby first thing in the morning, then pump for 15 minutes, and to not expect much milk to come out at first, and that I might need to keep doing that all day long to build up much supply.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:52pm
That's great advice! And boo on your hospital for not practicing evidence-based rules about breastfeeding. It's perfectly safe once you're awake.

I was pumping for 10 minutes after feedings earlier this week to make sure my milk was coming in quick enough, since I have a history of baby losing too much weight. Addie capped at 10.7%. It only took about 24 hours for things to really increase.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 3:44am
Thanks for the info, Liz! I thought it was bc of anemia or something. Now the problem remains that LO wants her biggest meals in the evening but sleeps soundly til late morning... Temp solution has been pumping after her pre-sunrise feeding and offering that or formula evenings.

- JM

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 10:23am
So she's sleeping all night? What about waking up around 3am and pumping for a few minutes? I know it's a pain, but it's worth it. The first few weeks are like a constant growth spurt too, so many babies do what I like to call the "perma-latch" all evening. This really helps build your supply it, so it's a good thing. The more direct stimulation, the better.

Pages