October brings Happy Cephalopod Awareness Days!

iVillage Member
October brings Happy Cephalopod Awareness Days!
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:52am
"Cephalopod Awareness Days: Oohing over Octopuses OCTOBER 8, 2012 http://ncmns.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/152/ Though one should always take time to be aware of all cephalopods, here are some very loose guidelines as to which cephalopod you should be aware of on which day: October 8 – Octopus Day, for all the eight-armed species October 9 – Nautilus Night, a time for all the lesser-known extant cephalopods October 10 – Squid Day/Cuttlefish Day covering the tentacular species October 11 – Myths and Legends Day, for all the fantastical cephalopods of movies, literature and legend. Release the Kraken! October 12 – Fossil Day for all the incredible suckers that have gone extinct How can I celebrate? Take the time to learn more about cephalopods. Go to an aquarium and say to the octopus: “hey I’m aware of you”, watch an educational video, have some calamari, go fishing and use squid for bait, read “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”, wear some ammonite jewelry, find a Kraken and release it. It doesn’t matter just educate and celebrate!" :smileywink: Do you eat calamari?
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:15am

Tooooo funny!

We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium over the summer.  Awesome everything!

I eat calamari but not the parts that look like spiders - ugh.

iVillage Member
Does Hallmark have a card to mark the occasion? I eat calamari, but it's not my favorite thing Monterey is our all time favorite place! We were stationed there 3 times, it's where DH and I met and it holds so many good memories for us. We've spent ALOT of time at the aquarium. The school I worked at was just up the hill from it, and it was a very common field trip for classes to walk down. We are overdue for our Monterey fix....I'll have to do something about that!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:10am
http://www.redbubble.com/shop/cuttlefish+fish+squid+greeting-cards :smileywink: Look there are greeting cards! Speaking of aquariums does anyone have one in their home? Did your college student ever win a goldfish at a fair when they were young?
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:56pm
Just freshwater here - guppies, neons, zebras, a huge pleco (anyone need one? I need to downsize!) and some rogue snails in the 29 gallon tank, and then a betta and two guppies in a 2 gallon bowl tank. Goldfish - I remember one in first grade at their school 'carnival' but that didn't last long!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 2:55pm

Those darn goldfish are how the whole thing began when DS was in kindergarten.  Then we had 10 gallon tanks and then huge tanks.  Our fish had lots of Biblical names, back when I used to read Bible stories to the kids - we had Joseph & Mary, Naomi, Ruth & Orpah, Obadiah, Micah, you name it.

I never had any attachment to the fish - to me they're like houseplants, only houseplants don't die so gruesomely.  I was more than happy when DH gave up on the whole thing, though we do still have the tanks and cabinets in the house, taking up space.