Nursing bras

iVillage Member
Nursing bras
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:47am

I know this topic has been up several times, but I'm reviving it again, lol.  Any good nursing bra recommendations that are NOT the Bravado?  I can't find the Bravado in my size.

I was going to order the Bravado from Lane Bryant's website (it's not sold in stores, only online), since they carried it in plus sizes.  But now the website only carries it in black in one size (42/44) so that won't work. 

I went to the Motherhood Maternity website and typed in my measurements, and the website says I'm a 38G.  I think I could wear a 40DDD or 40F.  (I've heard you can go up a bandsize and down a cupsize, and end up with a similar bra since G is hard to find.)  So I called around the local Motherhood stores and found one that carried the biggest sizes in stock since the website has a horrible return policy.  It was an hour's drive, and the sales lady was a jerk.  She measured me and said I measured 43 around, and that I needed a 42 or 44 bandsize.  She also said my cups were a lot smaller.  So I tried on the size she recommended, and of course it didn't fit.  The band was huge even on smallest setting and the cups were pinching too tight along the top edge.  She was really opinionated, and wouldn't let me try on the size I wanted.  Basically said she did this sizing job for a living, and knew what was best for me, and if I didn't agree then I needed to find a new store.  I walked out with nothing and just started crying in the hallway of the mall.

So any other recommendations?  Baby is only 10 days old, I know I might need new bras again in a few weeks, but I'm desperate for something now.  I'm living in ill-fitting bras when I have to leave the house, and not wearing one at home.  But going braless has me uncomfortable and leaking everywhere, this is no fun! 

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:40pm
If there is a Target nearby, you might check the selection they have. Bravado has started to stock a line of bras there. That might get you by until you can find some other options. I personally ordered my Bravado's off of Diapers.com. Free shipping, easy returns (in my experience) and QUICK shipping. Sorry you're having such a hard time!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:26pm
Have you tried buying direct from bravado? If the size exists they should have it.

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:38pm
Ugh. That's a shame! I did see them on Gap online, though. I bought two racerback Medela bras at the hospital, but they run very small imho and at the same time didn't seem as supportive. That could just be me, though, because the fabric is thinner and I ended up buying a size (or two!) too big due to engorgement. I did prefer their openings for nursing, but the non-adjustable straps were ridiculous. But like the breast pump, to each "his" own, so you may want to try a Medela one.

- JM

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:23am

Thanks.  I called around and a different Motherhood Maternity had a sale yesterday.  So we drove way over an hour the other direction to get there.  (Too many hours in the car this week with a baby that hates a carseat!) Glad I went in person not ordering online because each style fit way different, even though they were labeled the same size.  I got 5 different styles because I couldn't figure out what I liked, after tax it was $95.  Once I figure out what I like, sports style or padded or whatever, I'll probably buy more of the favorite.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:44am
Wow. That's a great deal!

Valerie hated her car seat too, but the midwife gave us a good tip about rolling a towel around the top of her head and one under her legs to make her feel more secure. She still cries til the motor starts but we no longer draw crowds or have strangers remark "I thought that was a cat!" ;-)

- JM