Quarterly or semiannual or annual crop?

iVillage Member
Quarterly or semiannual or annual crop?
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:11am

If we planned out a quarterly, semiannual, or annual crop in advance, would people come?  If you knew some of us were going to try to get together for a weekend of scrapping? 

Stacy suggested we try to get together again in February.  I know I worry about weather a little then, especially if I am going to be driving.

How much advance notice would you need to make something happen? 

Karens siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:40am

I also agree about February. I think we've done February before, but some of the times we crop have been last minute, so we know the weather forecast. I also don't know about the basketball season, and wether there will be Saturday games in either league? March might be doable - except then we run into Spring breaks at various times. April weather is nicer - I'd have to avoid Mira's birthday, but I wouldn't be so worried about a possible sudden snowstorm.

I would like to say I could plan something well in advance, but when I think back to what Karen & I have planned, it seems to boil down to "You don't have anything these 2 weekends, and I don't have anything those 2 weekends, and this one weekend works for both of us, so let's do that" sort of thing!

I think an annual crop is definitely doable. Possibly semiannual - given maybe we might rotate closer to Chicago or St. Louis now & then. I just don't know how far out I could plan it.

I think I would have better luck planning a weekend in the summer though - if we have that in advance I could schedule swimming lessons and camps around that.

Michelle
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:56am

As  much as I'd love to be able to say that I could do any of the above, the fact of the matter is that I'm not sure I could be counted on at all.  I desperately wished I could be with all of you this past weekend, but my weekends just don't line up with anyone else's and that's just a fact of my life at this point. 

The other fact of my life is my husband, and his insanity around my driving long distances.  Because he has now met Karen and MJ and Missy and the trip to KY was good, it is conceivable, he would be more open to the idea, but I'm not certain, and there isn't any use broaching the subject until I can realistically plan to go.

Next summer's vacation will mirror this one:  everything hinged on a niece's wedding and Cowboy's graduation and baseball.  No way of knowing if I'll have any thing leftover until the season ends.  And one of these days, there will be another wedding to plan and babies will start arriving which will impact vacation time as well.

So .... the best plan is for you all to make plans when and where you can.  My hope is that one of these days, I could host you all at my house.  At this point, that isn't possible, but there will come a day when it should be.  If you are planning something that it looks like I can attend, I'll jump in and say so.  If you are planning something I could conceivably attend electronically, I will jump in and say so.  Otherwise, I'll always be with you in spirit if I can't be there in person.

&nb
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 12:29pm

I realize that weather could be an issue at any time. :smileyhappy:  I just said Feb as a starting point, cuz I know the next couple of months with the Holidays will be crazy. 

My only reason for suggesting this is that people could potentially plan ahead and maybe come.  I know for me our schedule gets planned way in advance and if I know in advance rather than only a week before I can usually make it work.

I think it would be great if we could move it around and do it in various locations so that the same people are not always driving.

Maybe plan around a ckc or 2 each year?  Maybe try to go to another retreat?

St. Louis would be a fairly easy drive for 1/2 of us or an easy flight for the other 1/2. :smileyhappy:

We all love to hang out and scrap and its amazing fun. We all have crazy busy lives and may or may not be able to go at any point.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:16pm

If we have one planned between May 1 - September 30, I'd probably be able to swing it.... depending on location.  My mom can watch the kiddos on weekends, but she needs a good chunk of advance notice to get the right days off.  

I have tons of frequent flyer miles I'd love to spend on ME for a change. 

I like the idea of planning around a CKC or Expo or something!  Or even something like Scrapfest?!

:heart:

Jill
CL-Signature Showcase
Mom to Rossalyn (8/22/07) and Sean (12/29/08)
Resort manager, avid scrapbooker, and Disney World guru.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 4:03pm
I would do my best to come! Summer is usually best, although this year my schedule will be pretty free from January-September...yay sabbatical!

If we met in the Chicago area, I might be able to convince DH to turn it into a road trip, and he could visit friends in South Bend, IN or Kalamazoo, MI. Southwest flies to Midway airport, so that's also a good thing!

I also like the idea of meeting up at CKC or Expo!
Photobucket