What does this mean? Dilated but ...

iVillage Member
What does this mean? Dilated but ...
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 1:13pm

I am 4 cm dilated, and have been for a few weeks.. but my cervix is still far back as the dr puts it... this is my 2nd child.. I have no idea what to except..  Anyone know what Im going through? I have 2 weeks to go.  My son was late, so Im sure my daughter will be...  Dont most women have contractions at 4cm?? 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 1:23pm
Not necessarily. Ericka and myself both walked around between 4-5cm for a week without going into labor. I was stretched to 5cm on Friday and had baby on Tuesday. Ericka was induced. There's really no way to predict what will happen.
by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:02pm

Jumping ship here...I'm from the september boards, but delivered DS (second child) in August.

I walked around at 3cm for a month..then 4 cm for over 2 weeks.... But my cervix was high.

My water broke at home...got to the hospital....went from 4cm to 10cm in 12 minutes!!!

Good Luck......

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:38am

My baby was induced so it's not the same I know, but I stalled out at 4cm.  My water was broken at the hospital around 3cm, and I didn't make it past 4cm for hours and hours even with a high pitocin drip.  The nurses said they see lots of women dialated under 5cm that sort of get stuck there but labor goes fairly fast after 5cm.

As for carrying high, I think only 1st babies drop early.  Since this is your second, little one mighty stay high until you're in labor.  Just be glad you don't have to waddle as much when you walk yet :smileyhappy:

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 4:27pm
If only that was true about the waddling. As of last monday I was 1cm and 50% effaced but she said my cervix was till pretty high. My belly is super low and as big as a house so I still have to waddle, have a hard time getting in and out of cars, and can barely walk sometimes. I wish it wasn't until the final drop that waddling happened. Oh well hopefully we all go into labor today and can play with our LOs sooner with quick deliveries!