Let's talk Halloween costumes!

iVillage Member
Let's talk Halloween costumes!
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:10pm

What is your child dressing up as for Halloween this year?

Do you let them buy new costumes every year, recycle with siblings or friends, or like to make your own? 

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:40pm

Sean is going as Iron Man this year only because I got a great deal on the costume. Without that deal, he'd probably be wearing a costume from our vast collection :smileywink: I try to recycle when I can, and have shared costumes with my sisters. I'll let them pick out a new one every couple of years, but hate to spend too much money on it when they only wear it once. They don't have Halloween parties at the school, so they are only worn for trick-or-treating.

All the costumes from when they were babies/toddlers were made by my MIL, and were so cute that I'll be saving them for their own kids.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 10:22am

My MIL made a lot of my kids' costumes when they were little too! When my youngest was a toddler, he REALLY liked stars so she made him this really cool star costume with working lights and everything!

This year, my oldest is going as LInk (from the video game Zelda) and my youngest is going to be a cat. At first, I thought "oh, a cat! that will be easy"...until I started looking for a costume and saw the vast majority of cat costumes are geared towards girls. Ugh.

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 12:03pm

My girls are driving me nuts b/c they keep changing their minds! I'm like, we're running out of time here!! I think I'm going to have to give them a deadline of tomorrow to make a final decision.

I wish I could buy their costumes in the after-Halloween clearance a year ahead of time but no way could I count on them to make a decision- and stick with it- that far in advance!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-21-2012 - 2:09am

Our 2 year old wants to be Batman. We got a shirt from Old Navy. Black pants with Batman Vans from Gap Kids and a cape and mask that are just plain jane that we got as a gift. Cheap and he can wear them again. I hate costumes that are not useable in normal day wear.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 2:26pm
That costume sounds so cute! The most challenging one my MIL had to make was Shamu, she used patterns for a shark, whale and something else I believe! I bet it's hard to find a cute cat costume and one that's not too sexy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 2:27pm
ROFL, that would be hard to make them stick with it after a year has passed. What costumes have they been kicking around?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 2:28pm
That will be an awesome costume! I bet he'll have fun with the cape and mask after Halloween as well. I like that you'll be able to have the option to dress him warmer depending on the weather. I don't like costumes that don't allow you to do that.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 3:33pm

Shamu..wow!! That does sound challenging! Thank goodness for talented MIL's! Do you still have a pic of that costume? I'll have to try and find one of Michael in his "star" costume.

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 6:47pm

I love the Batman costume idea- especially since he'll be able to wear the clothes again!

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 4:38pm

It's a little blurry, the image I had on my laptop was small.  You can't really see the tail or dorsel fin, but both are pretty cool.  I dressed the twins up as penguins, as you can see ;)

Photobucket

Pages