Question about storing pumped BM

iVillage Member
Question about storing pumped BM
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:25pm

I don't have very many storage containers for my pumped breast milk, and I'm also not able to pump very much at a time (usually only 0.5-1 oz)... not sure if it's because my pump isn't very strong?). I've been freezing what I pump, but the containers are practically empty and I'm running out! Can I add fresh pumped BM to already frozen BM? I wouldn't take the frozen one out of the freezer, pump into it and put it back, but can I pump into another container and then pour it on top of the frozen to freeze together? Or is this a storage no-no? I hate looking into my freezer and seeing a bunch of mostly empty BM containers, which will all have to be combined when thawed anyway. So far everything I'm pumping will need to be used in one night on Nov 1st when hubby and I have our first date night out!

Also, is it ok to store BM on the freezer door? I know I read it's not to be stored on the fridge door, but no one says anything about the freezer door (where there's perfect sized shelves!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 3:49pm

No I'm not going back to work yet (maybe not for a few years), I'm just pumping to have some milk stored for when hubby and I go out on Nov 1st without the babe. I thought it was going to take forever to get enough stored up but since I got 4 oz yesterday maybe it'll be easier than I thought! I just have the Medela Mini Electric pump, so I have to do one side at a time and it's not super powerful, but at least gets something out! :smileyhappy: Is 4 oz enough for one feeding? I have really no idea how much he actually gets right from the breast.

BTW, love your new siggy picture Megan! Beautiful family!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:23pm
The containers are Medela ones that go with my pump, they're little plastic ones that can also be used directly as bottles as the nipples fit on them as well, but they're like little measuring bottles with lids. I found some Medela bags today and tried one, it worked well! Now I have a box of 20 so I think my problem is solved! Thanks ladies!
I won't combine any of the frozen milk until babe's ready to drink it :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:21pm
Thanks ladies! The storage bags sound like a great idea! Also i just want to mention that I'm super proud of myself today, I pumped almost 4 oz!!!! :smileyhappy: let's hope it keeps coming!! :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:01am
When I was pumping, I would put my whole collection assembly in the refrigerator between pumping sessions, and keep pumping into the same collection bottle for 24 hrs, then bag it or give it to Sean. Considering it would take me a full 24hrs to get 2oz (at my peak of supply, only a couple days, dang it). You do need to let the refrigerated milk come up to room temp at least before adding fresh to it, but it helps conserve storage containers.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:06pm

A really good website about all things breastfeeding related is Kellymom.com. You might find some answers there too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:04pm

I wouldn't think you would want to combine fresh milk with frozen milk because you are not supposed to thaw and then refreeze milk. The fresh milk touching the frozen milk will decrease the temp of the frozen milk. Not sure if it would actually hurt, but it is probably not the best idea. Have you tried storage bags? At least you are only storing the size of the milk collected. I have also heard of people freezing milk in an ice cube tray and storing it is a freezer bag. This might work for you because you are pumping small quanitities at a time. As far as the freezer door. It is okay, but less stable than further back only because the door is most frequently exposed to light and temperature fluctuations. The temperature of the milk is therefore changed and, in theory, it is not able to be frozen as long. The colder the temp, the longer the milk can be frozen for. This is why you can store milk in a deep freeze longer than a regular freezer.

What kind of pump are you using? It is possible that you might yeild more milk with a different pump. Additionally, the time of day makes a difference. Most people pump more first thing in the morning than any other time.

Photobucket