Tap water enema? TMI

iVillage Member
Tap water enema? TMI
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:40pm

I have read multiple answers to this question and I'm hoping someone can finally settle this for me. Is it safe to use tap water for an enema? I have a fleet enema that's prefilled with a liquid. The reason I'm using an enema is because I want to clean myself out before anal sex. The tap water I have does sometimes smell slightly chlorinated. I've read things that say it's dangerous to use tap water, then I read something else that said it's safe if you only use it like once or twice a month. Somewhere else said to use filtered water and somewhere else said use bottled water or distilled water. So can someone please tell me which is the right answer?

Also, how soon before you have anal sex should you do an enema?

Thank you so much!

Administrator
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:06pm

Hi and welcome. I don't have any experience with this but do suggest you check with your health care provider to make sure everything is safe.

Please let us know what you find out.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:20pm

I have no experience with that either, but I do have an opinion! LOL

Although tap water can be filled with certain levels of bacteria and other contaminates that could be considered safe levels for ingestion, I'd definitely hesitate about using it in an enema. I remember not long ago, some people using tap water in Netti pots for sinus problems ended up experiencing different problems due to contaminates... so I'd play it safe by using a pre-filled enema. JMO... good luck!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:23pm

Thank you both so much for the advice! I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking about using my filtered water from the fridge that I drink everyday. That seems like it would be safe.