I'm at my dad's house in Ohio

iVillage Member
I'm at my dad's house in Ohio
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:42pm

Hi everyone -

I drove straight through yesterday and made it to my dad's house around 8 p.m.

I was going to leave at 1 pm, got delayed, finally got out, stopped at the gas station to fill up, got back in my car, and the key wouldn't turn!!

Luckily, when I called a car place, they said with my kind of car, even though it's as old as my kids lol, that a locksmith could probably help me - so no tow, no delay of days and days.

Luckily, he got it unlocked.  I had gotten a duplicate car key the day before, and it worked, but, it is not made correctly and that's what the locksmith thought was going on.  So, now I just use the one key, and he showed me how to leave it in the ignition so that everything it turned off.

I can use the other key to unlock the doors, but even it is I think, starting to mess up that lock.  Oh well, it's nothing to worry about here.

Anyway, the drive was nice - sunny day, no problems and no wrong turns lol.

I am glad to be here.  I am getting more of an idea what's going on with Dad.

I slept like a rock.  Dad was up when I got up - earlier than my sis says he gets up so that was good.

There wasn't any coffee made, he said, I guess I should make coffee, but when I went back in the kitchen, I saw he had abandoned the project.  So I took a mental note and went ahead and made it.

I'm taking a lot of mental notes.

So far, things are fine.  Tomorrow is Dad's bday (87!) and I'll bake him a cake.  I'll have to figure out how to get out to a grocery.

The home health aide came out (they're called Visiting Angels) and she was really nice.  It was her first time here and Dad wants her to come back : )

I'm starting to see what kind of things are going on with him, & taking cues ...

So far so good.

And, yes, I packed all my valuables.  They are here with me.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 4:58pm
Best happy wishes for your Dad's birthday.
glad your drive was safe and good....not too bad with the key troubles.
enjoy everything.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:10pm
jammin2bach wrote:

Hi everyone -

I was going to leave at 1 pm, got delayed, finally got out, stopped at the gas station to fill up, got back in my car, and the key wouldn't turn!!

Luckily, when I called a car place, they said with my kind of car, even though it's as old as my kids lol, that a locksmith could probably help me - so no tow, no delay of days and days.

Luckily, he got it unlocked.  I had gotten a duplicate car key the day before, and it worked, but, it is not made correctly and that's what the locksmith thought was going on.  So, now I just use the one key, and he showed me how to leave it in the ignition so that everything it turned off.

I can use the other key to unlock the doors, but even it is I think, starting to mess up that lock.  Oh well, it's nothing to worry about here.

I slept like a rock.  Dad was up when I got up - earlier than my sis says he gets up so that was good.

There wasn't any coffee made, he said, I guess I should make coffee, but when I went back in the kitchen, I saw he had abandoned the project.  So I took a mental note and went ahead and made it.

So far, things are fine.  Tomorrow is Dad's bday (87!) and I'll bake him a cake.  I'll have to figure out how to get out to a grocery.

The home health aide came out (they're called Visiting Angels) and she was really nice.  It was her first time here and Dad wants her to come back : )

I'm starting to see what kind of things are going on with him, & taking cues ...

So far so good.

Good to know you arrived safe and sound...
Hope your visit goes well..

Happy Birthday to your dad:smileyhappy: 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 6:26pm
jammin2bach wrote:

Hi everyone -

So far so good.

Glad you arrived safe & sound,
Enjoy the time with your Dad.
happy Bday to him :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:28pm

Hi Aileen - yep things are sure interesting ... getting to know his limitations and what he can still do.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:30pm

Thanks Fran : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:32pm

Thanks Hugs-

Sorry I haven't got back to the message I sent you - I will hopefully later, anyway I haven't forgot.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:33pm
jammin2bach wrote:

Hi Aileen - yep things are sure interesting ... getting to know his limitations and what he can still do.     ...at least you know about your dad and understand.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:59pm

Diana, I was glad to read that you were able to make this trip!! I hope things continue to go well!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 9:04pm

Thanks Donna : )

Photobucket