no ultrasound

iVillage Member
no ultrasound
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:42pm

my first prenatal vist is friday. i called to make sure i was getting an ultrasound and they said most likely not. what?? why not? how will know how far along i am? this is making me really mad. with DD i got one with my first vist for the dute date. have you all had ultrasounds with the first vist? i've only had a confermation of PG with my family doctor. this is making me so mad i'm thinking about switching doctors

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:04pm

I have had 3 ultrasounds already.  My midwife does them at every appointment until she can hear the heartbeat with the fetal doppler.  Best part is, she doesn't charge if she does it herself instead of the ultrasound tech.  She said she does them because it is fun to see the baby.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:54pm

At my first visit the dr told me they normally don't do an U/S until 12 weeks (if I get the sequential screen) and 20 weeks if I choose not to get the screening.  But, she said that if I REALLY wanted one she would make up a reason so insurance would cover it......i told her I REALLY wanted one.  So, it might help to call around and find doctors who send you for U/S's early on (my OB with DD sent me for one at 7 1/2 weeks to confirm my due date, but this obviously isn't the policy of all doctors).

Good luck.....I'd be freaking out if I couldn't get one until 18-20 weeks :smileysad:  Definitely reason enough to switch doctors (in my opinion).

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:39pm
I'm already 12 weeks. This is my first app. Also I just got a call from them saying they share a parking lot with burger king! What!? They don't even have parking?? App. Is tomorrow, lets see how it goes, but I'm pretty sure I'm switching doctors
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:29pm
Over the years I've had four OBs in three different states. Three routinely did quick ten week ultrasounds themselves without a tech or separate charge. The fourth only uses a tech and says insurance doesn't cover routine first trimester ultrasounds unless you are bleeding or have pain (no diagnosis to bill it under). I think that's so dumb. Insurance will cover a routine anatomy scan at 20 weeks (which I agree with) but not an ultrasound during the period of greatest risk of loss? Two of my four miscarriages were missed and one was found at the routine ten week ultrasound. What if that doc hadn't offered one? How long would it have taken me to bleed and find out? I would call around and ask other OB clinics if they offer a ten week ultrasound.

Dyan

Due May 1, 2013 by ultrasound (April 27, 2013 by LMP)

Married DH 12/27/99

Mom to DD 9, DD 6, DS 3

PCOS; 4 miscarriages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 2:59pm
App. Went great. There was plenty of parking so I don't even know why they said that. But apparently they don't do ultrasounds and app together. they shedule an ultrasound between them. I don't know why. My boss said so they can bill insurance twice. Thats fine because insurance covers it