Will your middle schoolers be trick-or-treating?

Community Leader
Will your middle schoolers be trick-or-treating?
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 3:56pm

I was curious if others still let their middle schoolers go out on Halloween to trick-or-treat, and at what age do you think they should stop?

This year, they are only in 6th so I'm leaving it up to them.  I think the novelty has worn off somewhat, so not sure what either of them are doing.  I don't mind when teens come to my door as long as they've made some type of effort with their costume and are polite, but I realize that not everyone things this way!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 7:02pm

Yep, mine is still going. I wonder if he still would though, if he didn't have a little brother. He is going as Link from the video game Zelda :)

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:08am
My 7th grader will be. Here, it is not uncommon to see high school kids trick or treating, with only a very few not dressed up.

I think more of the younger kids tend to do "Trunk or Treats" around here, which I feel are pretty lame. If they are going to get the candy, they at least have to get some exercise and work for it! So the last couple of years we have gone and there have been mostly older kids out with us (when my kids were 4-9.) I think now my 12 year old will blend right in.
iVillage Member
My 7 year old is going to be Legolas too! He has the long straight blond hair already, it is just coming up with the rest of the costume!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 9:49am

We've had a mixed bag - one girl went out in MS, one didn't. Last year the boys (4th and 6th) trick-or-treated, but the year before neither one did (one has allergies to most sweeteners, so can't eat the vast majority of candy). I'm not sure what they'll be doing this year, but there are also parties at school/youth group so even if they don't necessarily trick-or-treat, they can get their "fix" of Halloween if they want.

I'm absolutely fine with any age coming to the door as long as they are polite and have a costume.

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:16pm
My ODD who is a senior this year trick-r-treated all the way thru 7th grade, and e only reason she didn't in 8th was her BFF's mom who she always went with said they were too old. I think it's an individual thing as long as they are respectful. If she has wanted to go the last few years, I would have sent her with her little sisters.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:29pm

My 12 year old son loves dressing up and trick or treating.  This year he chose to be Legolas from LOTR.  After he a friend go collect their loot, friend's mom hosts a bonfire.  Should be a great time.