Craving for Oat Squares

iVillage Member
Craving for Oat Squares
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 4:22pm
Quite a number of years ago, I enjoyed Quaker's Oat Squares. Last week, for some unknown reason, I craved them again. I bought a box and was a bit disappointed to see they had "just a hint of brown sugar." Maybe they always did. They taste pretty much the same as I remember them. I was checking the guidelines and they are only a bit off the mark, I think. Their serving size is 56 grams which is almost twice the SBD guidelines I was checking, so maybe the nutrition is WAY off in that case. The calorie count is 210, the fat is 2.5g, the carbs are 44, and the fiber is 5g. So how bad are these squares as a snack (maybe 1/2 cup) or a breakfast? Thanks for helping, Judy PS: I'm returning to the SBD just this week. This board was such a help to me years ago and I'm hoping for the enthusiasm once again. It was difficult to get to a computer this summer, so I missed "haunting" the message board.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:21pm
Welcome back, Judy!

Here's a link to the cereal guidelines. Check out the sugar content and see if it is 8g or less per 30 gram serving.
http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/SBD-Phase-2/Bread-Cereal-Guidelines/m-p/10169222

As far as the brown sugar...I think that would be a personal choice. If it met the SBD guidelines nutritionally, and didn't cause any cravings, then it's probably just fine.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:25am

Thanks, Joy. The Oat Squares have 9g sugar per serving which is 56g. That should leave in the okay range. I think I'll enjoy these until my taste buds change back to steel cut oatmeal or eggs. One of those two are my usual breakfast.

Judy