18 wks pregnant--off meds for depression

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
18 wks pregnant--off meds for depression
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:56pm

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. 

I have been on meds for depression for most of my adult life.  The recent 'cocktail' seems to work best and I have been functioning fine in recent years.  After finding out I was pregnant on July 4th (and calling my Dr of course) I quit my meds cold turkey.   It was rough the first few weeks...a lot of discomfort and withdraw.  I recently went to a Dr appt and they were really pushing me to get back on some meds.  I understand that some meds are thought to be safe during pregnancy...but I really want to try to go the whole pregnancy without medication.  I think i am doing ok....not great...but ok.  I guess I feel like 'ok' is good enough if it means that I can grow this beautiful baby without exposing him to unnecessary medications.

Has anyone here had any experiences with depression/pregnancy/ meds?  What are your thoughts? Experiences?

Thank you!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:02pm

Hey Michelle,

welcome to the board. I am not able to answer your question regards medication and pregnancy but our CL, Heidi, may be able to help more fully as she has a young family and has been on medication.  It would be great if you feel well enough to do without during your pregnancy. 

Congratulations on your forthcoming motherhood and I wish you a safe and happy pregnancy.

Love

Promise

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:50pm

Welcome to our board, Michelle.  Yes, I do have experience with pregnancy and medications for depression.

May I ask what medication you had been taking before you went cold turkey?  I am thinking you were on that medication for a month of pregnancy when you found out you were pregnant?  Or how far along were you when you stopped the medication?

Let me say, I am not a doctor.  These are my opinions and my experience and thoughts.

My first pregnancy, I was on Effexor XR and Xanax and was trying to get pregnant, so went off both of them before getting pregnant.  My plan was to not go back on after baby was born, but had

severe post pardum depression and went back on Effexor.  I was not breast feeding.

My second pregnancy, 3 years later, I was on Lexapro and my ob-gyn told me we had to ween me off the drug slowly in order for the baby to not go through withdrawls.  He said he wanted me off the med by my 3rd trimester, so it would not affect the baby.

Are you familiar with the classification of medications during pregnancy (A, B, C ....)  If not, here a website you can use to look at medications that may or may not be safe during pregnancy:   oopps, ok, iVillage won't let me copy and paste, so I will make a new post with the website.

I am not sure if I answered any questions or helped you any, but please please feel free to reply with ANY questions I did not answer or questions you still have!