Hey guys! I have a question!

iVillage Member
Hey guys! I have a question!
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 8:29pm
Hi guys, it's so nice that you're still here when I have a question. Lol. In an effort to keep my weight down and perhaps even lose a few pounds, I'm trying to zigzag my calories. When I was staying at a steady 1300 or so hundred calories a day, I actually gained 2 lbs. I don't know if that was a coincidence or due to all the hormone fluctuations of menopause. Anyway, this seems to be a good idea to me, especially for someone like my who has always worked out, etc. it's hard to break the rhythm of my metabolism. So my question is this. If I am burning an extra 350 to 500 calories a day working out, should I add those calories back in to my total? So today, I'm eating 1200 plus calories but I've burned 345 working out. Should I eat 1500 or so calories to keep the balance? Because if I don't, it's like I'm eating 900 or so calories, too low, right? Thanks! :smileyhappy:)

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:45am

"Too low" changes depending on the person. My workplace just started doing metabolic testing and one woman told me her resting metabolic rate is 1200 calories which is REALLY low. If she wanted to lose weight, because she's already working out so much, she'd have to drop to below 1000 calories but it might be the only option if she can't drop lower. Have you had yours tested? Gaining weight on 1300 calories can be hormonal so unless you're doing it over a long period of time, I wouldn't assume that your RMR is lower than that.  

Why are you trying to zigzag your calories?  Are you lifting weights?  Also, calorie burner measurements are in accurate unlesss you have it done in a lab--how are you measuring how many calories you're burning?

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 8:14am

It's nice to "see" you back.  How are you?!

I am not a nutritionist, so I don't know the answer.  BUT, I do know:

*  If you are gaining weight, something has to change

*  I am learning that some scientists are questioning the order of your foods, basically, starchy carbs last because it has a negative effect on the digestive hormones that are released in the body

*  In my personal experience, WHAT you eat is just as important as the number of calories that you are eating.  A book, "The Beauty Detox Diet" references food order, certain foods (e.g., animal meat) taking longer to move through your GI tract, etc. that adds to weight gain, in addition to other problems.

*  Eating smaller amounts of foods that have a low glycemic index will help to curb glycemic spikes throughout the day that may add to fat storage (e.g., smaller,more numerous meals are better than one huge meal)

How is your A1C?

Pages