Question regarding treatment

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Question regarding treatment
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 11:58pm

I have a medical question. I believe I am menopausal (I am 49yr old so I'm in the right age for it), haven't had a regular period in about a year and my last 2 have been extremely heavy. I've been heavy in the past but not like that. I saw a ob/gyn today and he is going to rule out cancer or any other problem. I had an ultra sound done today. He was talking to me about putting me on birth control pills, having an IUD put in or burning the lining to decrease the bleeding. I am not having regular cycles any more, I do not want a regular cycle any more, I want it to stop all together. My last real cycle was in July. I got home and had to call my sister to go to the store for me as I couldn't leave the house. I felt like I was hemorrhaging and was passing huge clots. I was prescribed 2 different courses of provera to get it to stop. On Sept 16th I was out to dinner and started bleeding, was not expecting it so I wasn't prepared. Again I felt like I was hemorrhaging. I flooded an overnight pad in a matter of about an hour then nothing. I have done nothing since then. The heavy bleeding is like its making up for the months I didn't have a cycle. If I'm menopausal, why would I want to go on birth control pills, have the IUD or do anything that would start my cycles again if I am stopping naturally. Thanks for your advice.

Community Leader
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 7:55am

I am glad your dr is ruling out cancer. ANY unusual bleeding should be checked. The reason they want you to have 'regular' periods is if you don't, the uterine lining can build up and that can lead to cancer. Birth control is the usual way to treat perimenopause. I was on them until my hysterectomy. BCP overide your hormones and takes care of, or should, the surprise periods as well as the super heavy ones. I am not a medical person, but I can tell you that even on bcps my periods got lighter, shorter and I even skipped one or two.  It is my feeling your body will still do what it is going to do as for stopping. Again, I am not a medical person, just personal experience.

Now, honestly, I am not sure on the iud....

The burning of the lining has worked well for some women. It can cut the bleeding and in some cases has stopped periods.

From your post, it sounds as if you might be 'happier' with burning the lining. Good luck with the decision on if and how to treat this. Post anytime! And remember... you are NOT alone!!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 12:27am

The procedure Cheryl mention ~ the burning of the lining of the uterus ~ is called an endometrial ablation.  Here is a very informative site you might want to check out.  John Hopkins Hospital info...

In the past some of our gals have reported very good results from having this procedure.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and how things go for you.  And please know that you are welcome here anytime; to vent (it really can help!); to ask questions; to share experiences; or to just hang out with other gals who understand and care.

Kt

There is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to menopause.

Co-Community Leader at:
50 & Up Friends | Menopause & Perimenopause

My Web sites:
50 & Up Friends | Ladybug’s Recipes | Menopause Oasis

You are loved ~~ far more than you may ever know!