I attended a meeting for the Grade School Art Show & the Art Club that is trying to be organized.

Community Leader
I attended a meeting for the Grade School Art Show & the Art Club that is trying to be organized.
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:37am

Right now it is a ton of ideas, but the focus needs put into place. 

The school does not have an art teacher, so this is all falling to parents. 

The art show should be really nice this year.  The projects are all going to be so much more than a sheet of paper with a marker drawing or a painted picture.  There will be pinch pots, canvas paintings, art using recycled materials, etc. 

The after school club idea still sounds like it is in the planning process.  I hope the coordinators get focused and get it started soon. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
No ART TEACHER?!?!?! MY kids, really my dd, would have died without art!! Do they still get art as part of school? We had Art Moms, that came into the classrooms twice a month and showed a famous peice of art and then let the kids try that medium. I think the Art Insitute of Chicago runs the program. My kids did some after school art programs as well, it was so fun!! Dd is not an art major but won awards for both photography and ceremics in high school and got the Most Outstanding Art Student her Junior year of HS!!!

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
I guess during budget cuts around 8 years ago the grade school art program was cut. The district art program starts in 7th grade. The HS has an incredible art program that wins all kinds of awards.

There is an after school art program that is run by a company. The price is pretty hefty and the current teacher is not impessing parents.
Photobucket
Community Leader
We had regular art classes as well as the extra stuff. Did they cut music as well? I have to say that I love our local public system.

Ramona  Mom to 2 great kids and wife to one wonderful hubby since 1990!

Community Leader
We still have music at the grade school. Each class has 2 sessions a week for 40 minutes.

The middle school has music, band, or choir every other day in 6th grade and every day in 7th. I'm not sure how music works past those grades since we have not gotten there yet. I know band will turn to every day, but I don't know at what point in time it turns to an elective and students stop taking it.
Photobucket