ADHD & Mercury in the Womb?

iVillage Member
ADHD & Mercury in the Womb?
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:10pm

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) appears to be on the rise in the United States, and in the search for explanations researchers have begun to scrutinize fetal exposure to a wide range of toxins, including lead, tobacco, pesticides, and chemicals such as PCBs.

Mercury, a metal that affects the nervous system, is among the latest suspects to be investigated. And in a new study, researchers report that children who are exposed to higher levels of mercury in the womb are more likely to exhibit attention problems, hyperactivity, and other ADHD symptoms when they're eight years old.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/mercury-adhd-womb-pregnancy_n_1952570.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

Interesting!  What do you think about this information? Are you worried about how much mercury you are exposed to during pregnancy?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 1:20am

I've been trying to eat only fish considered to be lower in mercury, according to the list my doctor gave me. I worried myself a bit earlier this month, as I read that pregnant women should only eat fish twice a week, and I think I had fish three times that week. I don't think I need to stop eating salmon and clam chowder, but I am willing to eat less for the baby. Shark and most whitefish are out for now, though.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 7:59pm

I believe one of the biggest problems is the food we eat these days. Even "healthy" veggies have toxins and chemicals all over them.

Companies like Monsanto and their product RoundUp are affecting people everywhere. We are eating toxic pesticides and herbicides while trying to eat healthy veggies. These chemicals make farm animals infertile, and they can also cause all sorts of health issues like cancer.

I try to eat Organic Veggies as much as I can to avoid this. We also have to be careful of the meat we eat because the animals are fed products which are affected and hence we ingest them second-hand..

My name is Liz and I am a 33yo from Australia. I have an 8yo DS who I spent 15 months TTC with my ex (got pregnant the month I gave up!). I am now married and my DH and I had a blighted ovum 2 years ago and a couple of early m/cs since. We are now pregnant again and have our fingers crossed!