Depression Triggers As We Age

iVillage Member
Depression Triggers As We Age
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 12:13pm

There are many aspects of aging that can contribute to depression.  However, there are also some simple ways to help you combat it.  Which of these apply to you?  What else do you do to protect against depression?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

Community Leader
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 9:25pm

~hugs~

Thanks...:)

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:35pm

So glad it helps, Theresa!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:20pm

Wow!  thanks for the input!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:32pm

What a wonderful role model you are, Laurie!  You are so good about taking care of yourself :heart:  We can all learn from you.

CL-ladybug987

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:24pm

In July I celebrated my fifty-fourth Birthday...

My ds and I moved to a new city.

Trying to cope and deal with both Anxiety and Depression.

One way I cope is taking care of myself.

I try to walk every-day although sometimes that's difficult as I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) OA (Osteoarthritis)...Also Psoriasis on both of my feet...:smileysad:...

At forty-nine I had a heart attack.

I no longer can work which has been very difficult to accept.

Peer Support means a lot to me and also talking about and advocating for Mental Health.

Awareness and Advocacy.

I like to write, loved to write but am having some issues with my hands.

Like watching movies and listening to music.

Love my cats.

My dd and my ds help me to.

I try to get out and explore our new city.

The bus means independence and mobility.

Not in a relationship after having gotten free from "Abuse".

Trying to heal and move on.

Enjoying my Freedom and feeling Safe!

I love our new home and feel less hopeless most days.

One of the best things for me is to recognize when I am not feeling well.

Recovery is an on-going journey.

I am being pro-active about my health.

I know and recognize and aware of the signs.

Know what my Triggers are.

Staying active as possible helps me immensely.

<3

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:11pm

Hi;

Yes; No matter what happens I always seem to keep my sick sense of humor..

Anyway;; I am going to check into some womens support groups.. I have been in counseling on and off for years and I just dont feel like doing one on one right now.. I can make an appt. with a therapist from the clinic I go to but the wait list is a year..but it would only cost me like 15.00................

Thanks for posting back and sharing.. I am greatful for that..

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:06pm

I'm so glad you are able to find things to laugh about!  Laughter is good for us physically as well as mentally.

It definitely helps to have friends to talk with.  Have you explored the possibility of also talking to a counselor?  There are places where they will see people on a sliding fee scale for a very small cost.  I know Catholic Charities is one such organization.  A counselor may be aware of some helpful possibilities to suggest.

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:27am

I am 58 and yes often get depressed over things and the aging process. I am divorced and have no SO that makes it harder. I so would love to have the life of having someone with me and sharing in our old age.. If I get the opportunity of growing old I would love to do it with someone.. that might never happen so I get depressed..

Its also depressing being stuck in the middle of things.. Too young for this or too old for that.. I know where I live I am trying to find affordable housing but they are mostly for 62 and over.. The 55 and over and way too pricey for me..

what I do for depression is walk and take Vit.D and do talk therapy with friends. I also have facebook friends that keep me laughing and things like that.

thannks for posting..