Midwife or OB?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Midwife or OB?
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 2:01pm

So this is baby #4, and with my other children I had an OB.  I had great labors and deliveries, the OB was great too.  But this time I am considering a midwife.  One of my problems is that the OBs here only see prenatals on certain days, and you get told when your appt is, and you don't question it or ask for certain times.  I run a home daycare and right now I have Thursdays off except before/after school kids, and Tuesdays I only have one.  My youngest two are in JK/SK tuesdays and thursdays.  I need to be back by 3 oclock to pick up all my kids/daycare kids.  I am thinking midwives may be more accomodating with times/days of appts?  I have heard many wonderful things about midwives also, and it's making me consider it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzanne

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 3:05pm
This is my 4th, too, and I wanted to go with a midwife this time around. But, like the post above me, they're practically extinct where I live. I love the OB I have, but I really wanted to do it naturally with no drugs (I've had some terrible times with the epidural!) but given my history of giant babies, I doubt it'll happen. So long as everything turns out good, I'm fine with an OB or a midwife.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 4:04pm

I can't believe the OB is being so stingy about appointment times. Lots of people work or run businesses and need to be accommodated. I'm sorry you have run into that snag. 

I plan to stick with my OBGYN. I trust him a lot and this is my first pregnancy. DH wanted me to switch to a doc closer to our house, but no way. I want someone I know. I have never researched midwives in my area.