Pacifiers

iVillage Member
Pacifiers
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 4:45pm

Jamilyn absolutely refuses to take her pacifier.  She would much rather spit it back at me and make gagging noises.  She has no problems using me as a pacifier or sucking on her fingers, but forget the substitute, lol.  Anyone else's little one flat out refuse to take one?  What do you do to appease them?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: compyquin
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 8:59pm

Is there a reason you want her to take a pacifier? Other than giving your nipples a break, of course! I didn't use one with DD (she wouldn't have taken it anyway) and don't use one with DS (though he would take it--he's a little grouper that would suck on anything). We sooth in other ways such as bouncing and baby wearing. Holding DS and sitting on an exercise ball bouncing up and down is a sure fire cure all for the grumpies. If all else fails a quick trip around the block in the Ergo usually does the trick too.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:53am

It's primarily just to sooth in the middle of the night.  She'll be changed and fed, fall asleep on me, and as soon as I put her back in the bassinet, it's game over.  She starts to wiggle, then make noises and then she's awake again and mad.  Some nights I go through this up and down routine for 3 hours before she settles for a stretch.  I'm exhausted.  Lol. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:11am

BOTH of my babies "semi" sucked on the hospital pacifiers (The soothies)....but since BOTH my babies were small....it was as if they were too little to support the weight of the pacifier and would spit it out.

I don;t promote pacifiers when I see 2-3 year old running sround with them in their mouths..HOWEVER, as a paranoid SIDS mom, I try to get my babies to take to it.....before I cut them off cold turkey at 12-14 months from it. LOL

With Jack..like Gracie....I had to try almost EVERY pacifier out there..before I found one that works. With Gracie...the winner was the Playtex Ortho pacifier (NOT the Binkies by Playtex).....

With Jack..the winner is...The NUK pacifiers. He sometimes refuses it..if he is in a fit of rage, but eventually, he takes it ad it soothes him. He falls asleep with it about 1/2 the time, but as he falls into a deeper sleep..it falls out. But it works for us.

Have you experimented with various brands of paci's??

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:11am

Also....to get Jack to take to it....we dip it in water...... LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:13pm

We use MAM or Quinn will refuse it.  But he loves his MAM's my oldest was the same.  Same brand.  They are smaller I guess and easier for him to manage?  We mainly use them so he doesn't use me or his fingers lol

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:25pm

I've only tried the Nuk that she was given while in the hospital.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:56pm
Yep. We just took a road trip to a funeral (36 hours on the road in 3 days) and I forced him to take it a few times just to appease him until we could get stopped. But he generally spits it. He would rather just nurse.
iVillage Member
In reply to: aasmomma
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:57pm
I'm with Whitney.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 2:13pm
I also really wanted my new little one to take a pacifier because I needed a break. I was getting sore. After many, many attempts she is finally taking one. However, she wil only take it when she is calm, well fed, not overtired, and not working on a BM. Other then that she will gag and spit it out at us. Basically it is my go to when she wants to soothe herself to sleep and has a full tummy. She is currently using an Avent soothie.
Pregnancy%20ticker