Wednesday Whys? - 10/10

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Wednesday Whys? - 10/10
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 6:13pm

Why are you a breasfeeding mom, a exclusively pumping mom, a formula mom, or a combination of all of the above mom?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:27pm

Megan, I totally agree with you! Thankfully formula is so good these days, technology is getting it closer and closer to BM. We did have to give Alby some formula in the first few days when I was far too weak to BF, hubby and my mom had to cover a few feedings (thank goodness I had some on hand, I had gotten some free formula in the mail from one of the many mommy programs I'd signed up for online :smileytongue:). BF was DEFINITELY very hard in the beginning! I was feeling so sick, and my nipples got really sore and cracked!! It was agonizing every time for the first week or so, which slowly got better as my milk came in. Alby's got a set of jaws on him for sure! There were a few times when I considered giving up and switching to formula, or pumping on my own schedule when I was feeling good instead of on Alby's schedule, but the doctor in Emergency the second time I went to the hospital said to breastfeed as much as I could through all the weakness, that it would help me feel better, even if it was for only 5 minutes at a time. I'm not sure it helped me to physically feel better, but it forced me to have that time to bond with Alby that I might not have had if I had given up, because I wouldn't have been the one feeding him at that time. I was feeling pretty low, so it probably helped with the blues too, reminding me that Alby could be sweet and not just a fuss-machine, and gave me some confidence back in little spurts. Now it's the norm and I couldn't imagine it another way. But there's always formula on hand in case I start to feel like I want to be independent again and go out for a little while on my own and don't get a chance to pump first :smileytongue:

Everyone's story is different and what works for you will be best for baby! I'm glad I stuck to my plan and it's working for me :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:15am
I'm a formula mom, I wanted to be BFing mom with both of my boys, but I had latching trouble with both that made me unsuccessful (and I did see a LC with both). I tried EPing for Sean, but I don't respond well to a pump, even hospital grade, it would take me 24hrs of pumping every 2-3hrs to get 2 oz and my supply tanked very quickly.

However, given my boys' appetites, I'm almost glad I couldn't BF them. Both were/are up to 6-7oz of formula every 3-4 hours at 2 months old. I know BF babies don't eat the large quantities that FF babies do, but I do think I'd be nursing almost constantly. Also, with both boys, I've been happier as a FFing mom, its much less stressful for me.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:13pm

Megan, I love your siggy. Who does it for you? I need a new one. I tried doing one on photobucket like I did my last one, but the program stinks! It is too frustrating and I usually end up giving up on it. I don't have any software anymore. Is there a program you know of that can be downloaded?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:10pm

I breastfeed and pump. I think it is the best I can do for him and it works best for our family. The antibodies and nutrition are key for me. It is also less expensive even with all of the supplies. I breastfed my older boys until about 6-7 months and the girls 9-10 months. I would like to go to a year, but once they start getting distracted, I let go. Breastfeeding is not easy and it is a lot of work. I can see why, for whatever reason, women chose formula, but I stick it out as long as I can. It also helps to lose the baby weight (though I usually balloon up after I stop breastfeeding.) With Lily (my last before Mason), I worked hard to eat right and exercise when I stopped breastfeeding so that I would not gain all this weight. It worked and I lost a good amount of weight for quite a while. I guess breastfeeding just makes the most sense for our family. It is the middle of the night feeds and the pumping that I don't enjoy. I am hoping to go a year this time, but we will see.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:03pm

I'm a breastfeeding mom because I feel like that's what nature intended! The numerous health benefits for baby are a big plus, as well as it's cost effective (free!!!) and eco-friendly (no packaging!!!)! I also plan to pump on occasion when I will be separated from baby or going somewhere where breastfeeding won't be possible.

It can definitely get tough in the middle of the night, but so worth it!