Potting herbs

Community Leader
Potting herbs
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 7:44pm

I think this weekend, I'll be digging up a few things to bring inside.  One plant that overwinters well is rosemary.  And I love having it growing in my kitchen so I can use it in EVERYTHIING.  Are you bringing anything indoors?  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: k_roni
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 5:27pm

Do you replant your herbs outside again in the spring? What other herbs can you bring inside for the winter? Can you do it with chives or basil?

iVillage Member
In reply to: GailFa
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 10:23am

Tip: pinch off about a 3 in. top section of Basil...gently snip off any lower leaves and then put the Basil into a small clear glass or jar (I use an old shotglass) and sit it on a sunny window sill...you will be pleasantly surprized when you see the white roots forming. Keep water above the roots (important) when you have a nice root system about two inches long, gently plant it in a pot to live indoors in a sunny window. I move mine to follow the sun...I love fresh basil for my pizzas but keep a supply of basil butter made when plants are abundant and I keep it dried for winter cooking.

You may already know of this way of keeping your Basil going...just wanted to share.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 10:16am
Tip: pinch off about a 3 in. top section of Basil...gently snip off any lower leaves and then put the Basil into a small clear glass or jar (I use an old shotglass) and sit on a sunny window sill...you will be pleasantly surprized when you see the white roots forming. Keep water above the roots (important) when you have a nice root system about two inches long, gently plant it in a pot to live indoors in a sunny window. I move mine to follow the sun...I love fresh basil for my pizzas but keep a supply of basil butter made when plants are abundant and I keep it dried for winter cooking. I hope you try this:)
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 10:06am
Hi, Rosemary is wonderful...I leave mine in the Herb Garden BUT I do take 3 nice tender stems and after pulling off the lower leaves, I pot them to form roots for a new plant to share next spring. I should try bringing the potted one into the sunny window sill after it has rooted. Thanks for the idea.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 6:34am
noooo not in ices tea...really??? I have fresh mint for that..hahahah...I do freeze my fresh basil to use all year long...put it in a shaker bottle and "vella" instant herb..hahah...but Fresh FRESH would be nice year round,,,

Valentine Bingo               

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:10pm

If you can keep it from blooming, it will.  Once it blooms the basil gets bitter.  Mine bolted on me last July, even though I was plucking it every day, and I'll just leave it.  I've had basil return the following year, so maybe this one will too.  

Have you ever crushed basil in ice water or iced tea?  WOW!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:35am
I picked lots of flower seed already....marigold...cosmos to name a few...always start my own annuals

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:35am
No..I've never brought anything in...hummmmm....I do have a potted basil plant...u think that will do well ??

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:58am
Besides our hibiscus and poinsettias, I brought in my tub of eggplants, which started flowering again just before the freeze warning. Here's hoping...