Higher risk for downs?

iVillage Member
Higher risk for downs?
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:01pm

Anyone else have any genetic testing results?  My midwife called today,  apparently the genetic screening showed a 1/235 chance of having a baby with downs (based on my age normal is 1/350ish).  She's sending me to a Perinatal group for additional screening.  The ultra sound I had Friday was good and the baby's nose/back of head all looked very normal (not consistent with any defects).

My last pregnancy was 3.5 years ago and we didn't do any genetic testing so I don't have anything to compare these results to.  DS does not have any genetic issues.

Trying not to be concerned but can't help worrying a little!!  I'm calling tomorrow for the follow up appointment, hopefully I won't have to wait forever to get in!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 2:52pm
This is why I don't do testing. I'm sure the baby is 100% ok. These test aren't that great. I've heard of parents waiting at delivery to know 100% and the baby was fine and healthy as can be. All that stress for nothing. Try not to stress. I know it's hard but it will fine
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 8:39am

I had the triple screen done with I was pregnant with DS.  It showed a 1/97 risk for downs.  My DS is just fine!  I went to a high risk doc and they did a really detailed ultrasound and were able to to tell us that everything looked fine.  They offered a amnio to rule it out completely but after weighing the risks, we declined.  Try not to worry.  Those screening tests are often wrong.  I won't have them this time.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 8:34am

I agree that you should wait until all the testing has been completed before you get too worried.....though that is easier said than done, I'm sure.  Again, these tests aren't guarantees....they are probabilities.  There is a 234/235 chance that your baby is FINE.....focus on that until you know more!

We always get the testing done simply because i want the extra chance to see the baby, but if they came back with reason for concern I would use it as a way to get myself informed about what I may encounter, should there be a problem.  I have heard of tons of false positives with these tests.....

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:56pm

with my last pregnancy i had just the first trimester bloodwork which showed no risk for anything....i found out a week later that he had trisomy 18. after his birth i found out these test arent very accurate unless combined results from 1st and 2nt tri blood test and nt scan are given. wait until you do the last test and get the combined results before you get worried

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 10:35pm

I had 1/115 or some very low number I was in my early 20s. My baby girl had no down syndrome at all... those tests aren't results just probabilities. Your baby is fine. I refuse all genetic testing both times I've had bad results that made me worry for no reason.