OLD Question

iVillage Member
OLD Question
Wed, 10-10-2012 - 11:21pm
Hi! I've been corresponding w/ a guy from Match. I decided to google his user name and it showed him as having a Profile on Match and from Chicago, IL. This is a different city and state than what his Profile actually says. When I click on the Profile link from the search results, it takes me to his Profile (with pics) and it shows the city/state in which I live (and not Chicago). Yet the search results on the summary page clearly show Chicago, IL. This leads me to believe that he recently changed his city/state and the cached results are still showing in google. It makes me feel like he's either trying to meet women in other cities (he's in sales and travels) or he's some kind of scammer? I searched my own user name and user names of other members and the google results all show the correct city/state.

Comments? Be leery of this guy? I emailed him and stated that his Profile previously showed Chicago (but didn't state how I knew that) and asked if he's on the move. He hasn't replied yet, but I just sent it. I wanted to call him on it without being too accusatory.

What do you think?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:07am

I have Googled usernames before as well, and I had one that showed up in my city as well as London. From the guy's profile I know he travels to London, but I don't really know how that works. Perhaps if he searches while in London, or if he searches there while in the U.S., maybe it shows up? I'd like to know the answer to this too.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 9:51am
Well, he hasn't answered (I asked). I know that he changed his city/state of residence from Chicago to my city. If he moved, why not just say that? Something's up. In my mind, there is no reason to change your city of residence unless you move or if you truly have more than one city of residence for various reasons. The latter is even iffy, since everyone has a primary home base location. To change your city of residence is deceptive. If you live in a certain state and you wish to meet women as far away as Chicago, you can easily change your miles for your ideal woman to cover 800 miles, 2000 miles, whatever you wish!

Bottom line, I always go with my gut and this feels off. He's changing his city of residence and he doesn't answer me when I casually mention it.

Use google, ladies. There's a lot of scamming out there. Don't be fooled by a handsome face. The person behind that smile isn't necessarily who you may think. :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:05am

I do think that if something seems off, you are probably right.  I was contacted when I first got on match by a scammer (who had me believing him for quite a while) and now I can spot them from a mile away.  I live near Boston and last night I saw a new profile of someone who is supposedly in MA and in his interests he says "I like taking a long drive to Santa Barbara"--yeah, it would be quite a long drive from MA to CA!  I am thinking that some of these are done by foreign people who haven't looked at a map of the US--or they start out in one city with the fake profile & forget to change these kind of things.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:33pm
LOL, Music! Yes, that would be quite a long drive!:smileyhappy: Thanks for sharing your experiences and I'm so happy that you're able to spot these scammers now. I'm pretty savvy technically and I'm always trying to get the message out there about OLD and scams. There are *a lot* of phony profiles out there. You must be on your toes!

I saw a guy's profile once who kept using "him/he" to describe his ideal date (instead of "her/she"), even though he was classified as a male in search of women. These scammers are sloppy.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:10pm
He just replied and said "Yes, I just finished moving back here. I live here now ... originally from here. How about you ?"

Hmmmm...
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:47pm

Oh I saw this one the other night and part of it was "

.... I would like to meet someone special that I can grow old
with and we can both learn new thong's together, A woman that i will treat is my
king and he will also treat me as his King a woman that i can cry on his
shoulder when am down and need someone to lean on and i will always stand by my
woman and will always be there to give him support

Do you think this one is legit?  Doubtful.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 3:01pm
LOL!! OMG, that's just like the one that I saw! Do you think some women actually fall for the ones that are that bad, either because they didn't read it well or because they believe the person just doesn't have a grasp of English? Scary thought!

I'm going to pass on the one who wrote back to me to tell me that he recently moved. I have a bad feeling. Always go with the gut.
Community Leader
In reply to: xxxs
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:15pm

Here are some resources for Romance scams. 

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/financial_scams/financial_scams_4554.html

http://thehightechsociety.com/dating-site-scams/

Remember that with the internet finding out maps,local news etc is very easy. 

dragowoman

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:15pm
I dunno...my honest opinion is that a guy is allowed to move and shouldn't worry about women googling him and thinking he's up to something just because a search comes up with his old city. I moved four years ago and my old address is still out there. He probably waited to respond because he wasn't sure about you after you mentioned it. I have no problem doing a search once I know a guy's real name (I've discovered one was married that way), but I don't know if I'd jump to the conclusion you did based on a search.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:49pm

It could be true that he just moved, but after reading tons of OLD profiles, I find that guys who just did move (I'm talking from some distance away not the next town) will usually say something like "I just moved here, I'm new to the area" etc.

Pages