Destiny's Time For Change Journal

iVillage Member
Destiny's Time For Change Journal
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:15am

Hello! Long time no "see"! 

My back story, for those who don't know me- I began South Beach in September of 2007 and it worked great! I was able to maintain a healthy weight of around 145 lbs or less, for a very long time. Then I got pregnant with my beautiful daughter, got HUGE, and lost the 50 pounds I gained during pregnancy-yay! But on my daughter's first brithday, I lost my mother very suddenly to cancer and it took a toll on me. I threw myself into motherhood and pretty much left my health and good habits in the dust. Almost a year later I have gained almost 25 pounds and today I decided that I am finished pretending that I am not overweight. I don't like buying clothing that "hides' and I don't like relying on Spanx and granny-panties to hold everything in. I was in pretty damn good shape 2 years ago and I want that back. SO! Here I am and I am getting back in the saddle.

My game plan is to start Phase 1 on Sunday so that I have time to meal plan and shop, and with the exception of a wine tasting event in the next  week, I should be good to go. In the days prior to Sunday, I vow to treat myself as well as I can. I will begin journaling today, just to get back into the habit. Deep breath...and here we go! Thanks for listening!

Starting Weight: 169

Excercise- 2 mile walk with dog, 1 hr Hot Yoga

Breakfast: 1/2 whole grain bagel w/ 1 tblsp pnb, coffee w/ milk

Snack: None

Lunch: cup of homemade Potato and Leek Soup (sub white sweet potatoes)

Snack: sliced green pepper

Dinner: Mediterranean Beef Stew

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 11:05am

Hi Destiny! I'm recommiting myself to SB way of eating today. So fed up with feeling lousy and looking dowdy. Keep posting all those wonderful menus and recipes. Hope I will see more of you around here.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 1:45pm

Welcome 'back' Destiny!  I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I have only kept up with journals on this board for a while now (life has been too busy!), so I didn't know.  You have my condolences.

New Year

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 8:17pm
Hey Julie! It is so nice to know I am not alone getting back on track with SB. I promise to keep posting the recipes and menus! Here's to feeling awesome again!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 8:20pm
Hello Amy and thank you. I was so happy to see you here! How is that love affair with your slow cooker? I am going to have to look back through your journals and find some of those awesome recipes you were posting!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 10:07am
Hi Destiny! I'm still here. :) I haven't done so well, SB-wise. Despite some excellent efforts and a lot of exercise, the scale is very sluggish for me. I continue to tweak things and keep trying, though! I still love my slow-cooker, and even used it some over the summer in between grilling! I imagine I will be using it even more now as the colder months arrive. I should look back in my journals, too, for a reminder of some recipes we liked. I tend to forget over time. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to watching you reach your goals!

New Year

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 2:51pm

I made it to yoga last night and was so glad I did! Upping the mileage with the dog (in attempt to keep him from chewing on my house) has definitely been working my legs and it feels to fantastic to stretch all those muscles. Not to mention they throw in ab work in all the classes for an added bonus! 

Excercise- Long walk with the dog (not sure how far yet- depends on if baby is with me or not)

Breakfast: Morningstar Stack (two sausage patties layered with sliced tomato and lf mozzarella and basil, drizzle w/ balsamic), coffee w/ skim milk

Snack: V8

Lunch: Leftover Szcheaun Pork and Eggplant and chinese green beans

Snack: ETA: two turkey roll-ups and a tblsp of npb

Dinner: Pork Chops with Braised Lentils (use smart balance and fat free half and half in place of butter and creme fraiche, and sub agave nectar for the brown sugar and diced dried apricots for the raisins), 

Recipe Review: Szcheaun Pork and Eggplant and Easy Chinese Green Beans- Both were keepers. I used ground turkey in place of the pork and upped the bean sauce by half a tablespoon as I had more meat and eggplant than called for. The final product needed a little tweaking with soy sauce and splenda to get it just right, but when it was right it was SO right! I really liked it in the lettuce wraps, but it would make a hearty meal over brown rice. The green beans could easily be turned into a really good main dish with the addition of diced tofu, shrimp or chicken.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 9:47am

Well I confess I peeked at the scale this morning and the number has not changed one. tiny. ounce. How incredibly frustrating is that!? My first thought is that I'm pregnant, but I won't be able to tell that for sure until the end of the month.    My second thought was, I better be friggin' pregnant because this is ridiculous!  I don't know if it is knowing the number on the scale is the same or what, but I feel huge today. There was no way I was getting into the pants I had picked out to wear. The button has quite a ways to go to get to the other side. Today I am greatful for stretchy pencil skirts and concealing sweater capes!  In more positive news, we walked the dog for *almost* 2 miles yesterday. I would have gone longer but Loran wanted out of her stroller sooner than I had anticipated and that is a game changer when you have short legs to contend with! :)  I have been logging my doggie walks on mapmywalk.com and I am up to 7 miles for the week (630 calories burned whoohoo!). 

Phase 1- Day 5

Current Weight: 169

Excercise- dog walk, 1 hr Hot Yoga

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 1 tsp. sf blackberry jam, coffee w/ skim milk

Snack: None

Lunch: Leftover pork chop w/ lentils and cauliflower and carrots

Snack: V8

Dinner: Lemon caper chicken, roasted asparagus

Recipe Review: Pork Chops with Braised Lentils- I really enjoyed this recipe, the rest of the family, not so much. I did have some without the apple compote and then had to try some with, and it was 1000x's better with. The sweet apples make a really nice contrast to the smoky, salty lentils. I don't think I pre-cooked my lentils long enough because I kept having to add broth to the braising pan until they were soft enough. All in all it was fun to make, *I* enjoyed it, but I will be tossing it due to the lack of enthusiasm from the rest of the team

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 9:48am

Yesterday ended up not going as planned. We took our oldest cat to the vet for his sudden loss of appetite and alarming weight-loss and discovered that he had cancer in his abdomin and needed to be put to sleep. So that was my evening. No yoga and we ended up out with family to celebrate Alex's life which included a couple cocktails. This morning AF showed up so that explained the good-year blimp feeling I had yesterday. I have been off birth control for 2 months and my body is still trying to normalize. Last month Af was a week and a half late, and this month we are a week early! 

Phase 1- Day 6

Current Weight: 169

Exercise- Walk the dog

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, V8,  coffee w/ milk

Snack: another coffee w/ 1/2 cup skim milk

Lunch: Roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms w/ chickpeas

Snack: small handful of cashews

Dinner: The chicken meal from last night

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 7:05am

Sorry about your kitty. Sending you lots of baby vibes.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 1:44pm

Thank you Lisa! And the baby vibes are much appreciated! I heard my husband ask Loran if she wanted a baby brother, and she said "No, a puppy?" haha...Today is the whiskey tasting that I knew was not going to be part of my Phase 1 commitment. This is the menu:

• Carving Ham with Honey Bourbon BBQ
  • Cornmeal rolled Catfish over ‘dirty’ rice.
  • Bourbon Pulled Pork on crostini with smoked Mozzarella.
  • Grilled peach and bourbon BBQ pulled pork.
  • Cornbread with Honey and Butter.
  • Flambe’ station with Peach, bourbon pecan raisin foster over vanilla ice cream

I don't see a vegetable in sight, but hopefully they will surprise me. Otherwise I will stick with the meats and avoid the corn bread and rice.

Phase 1- Day 7

Starting weight: 169

Current weight: DNW

Breakfast: coffee w/skim milk and 2 slices of bacon

Snack: none

Lunch: Large Gyro Salad w/ tons of veggies 

Snack: I think I am stuffed from lunch

Dinner: Whiskey Tasting

Photobucket