ID Chips to Track Students at School?

iVillage Member
ID Chips to Track Students at School?
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 12:10pm

The Student Locator Project, which launched on Oct 1. at a San Antonio high school and middle school and could be extended to as many as 112 schools, tracks student whereabouts using embedded RFID (radio-frequency identification) chips on student ID badges.

PC World reports:

"Unlike passive chips that transmit data only when scanned by a reader, these chips have batteries and broadcast a constant signal so they can track students' exact locations on school property, down to where they're sitting -- whether it's at a desk, in a counselor's office, or on the toilet."

http://living.msn.com/family-parenting/school-uses-id-chips-to-track-student-locations-1

I think I'd have a fit if one of my children were required to wear such a thing.  It just seems way over the top (not to mention a huge waste of money, imo).   What do you think about it?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:51pm

For the general student population, no. For non-verbal children like my daughter, I'd be fine with it.

Angie

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:35pm

It is very dangerous.  One there is no reason for this kind of survellance.  2nd where will it end?  Your employer might reason that bathroom breaks are too long. 

dragowoman

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 4:20pm

I don't see a problem with it. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:55pm
That is not considered an invasion of privacy in the States? If it is not, it should be. Talk about the nanny state..

Pages