At School Vaccinations?

iVillage Member
At School Vaccinations?
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 1:20pm

MSN has an article on doctors feelings on doing vaccinations at schools: 

In Denver, a project funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has provided in-school flu shots, as well as vaccinations recommended for older kids and teenagers: the meningococcal meningitis vaccine, the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine and the "Tdap" vaccine against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough).

For the current study, Shlay's team wanted to know how pediatricians and family doctors felt about school vaccinations.

Of the 584 doctors who responded to the survey, most supported in-school flu shots.

About two-thirds were in favor of their privately insured patients getting the shot at school, while around three-quarters liked the idea for their patients on Medicaid.

Read the complete article here: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/02/14184649-doctors-have-mixed-reaction-to-vaccinations-at-school#.UHb_T34x8SM.email

Some of the worries are that parents won't take their kids in for regular physcials, and that the doctor's records won't up updated for their vaccinations.

What do you think about this program?

Community Leader
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 11:14am

I think Witch_power bring up a good point, what happens when/if the school doesn't read the paper you gave them and vaccinates them anyways? 

I would prefer to be there if/when my child gets an immunization at all to know if they have any adverse reactions to them, etc.  Plus, I know here, there isn't always a nurse on staff at the school during the day.  I would assume there would be one on the day they are giving vaccinations, but do they stay the entire day, in case something happens, etc.  If I were to be vaccinating them, I'd much rather pay my $25 co-pay and have it done at a doctor's office where there are trained medical staff there and I am there to supervise.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 2:39pm
That's not good at all, I would have been very upset.

Community Leader
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 1:26pm

I don't like it because with my son's history of severe reaction to his baby needles and allergies, I did not continue to have him vaccinated. I marked NO on the form they sent home.

But my son was still lined up and given a vaccination with the rest of the class anyway.

We were all VERY fortunate that he did not have a reaction that time. Made me want to keep him home on vaccination days, since the school could not be counted on to protect him.