Breast pumps and Bottles

iVillage Member
Breast pumps and Bottles
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:06pm

I know I don't need them yet but what type of breast pumps and bottles does everyone have? Do you have a manual pump or an electric one? 

I am thinking of getting the Tommee Tippee Manual pump set http://www.target.com/p/tommee-tippee-closer-to-nature-manual-breast-pump/-/A-13932007#prodSlot=medium_1_28&term=tommee tippee and one of the Lansinoh mOmma 5 oz bottles http://www.target.com/p/lansinoh-feeding-bottle-5-floz/-/A-14009994#prodSlot=medium_1_1 to try out. I know I will want at least some type of breast pump and bottle system for when I am not near by (like date night) and in case I get sick. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:26pm

Well, I don't very often pump, so I guess I'm not a great person to answer your question! I just always get the free Madela's from the hospital, all you have to do is ask! And I say "free", but that would all depend on your insurance. 

This is the one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2409078

It works for me because I use it maybe a handful of times, and with the last baby, not at all. But it's always a good idea to have one on hand! 

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 5:30pm

Oh! But I love that little Tommee Tippee set! It comes with a lot of stuff!

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 6:27pm
I don't pump often, though I will more with this little guy. Anywho, I have had the medela hand pump and the avent hand pump. I have liked them both, they work well for what I need.
As for bottles, I have learned to get several different kinds (and a several kinds of pacifiers), to see what baby likes the best. I have had a couple babies that would not take absolutely anything but me. That was exhausting. So my last two babies I would get the large size Nuk bottles and the gerber dropins, the large size vent aire, and then plain old regular glass bottles with regular old nipples. Babies would have a preferance on what they liked. I like the gerber drop ins the best and the nuks.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:21am
I deal with oversupply no matter what I do. I could seriously nurse a set of multiples with no issues. For that reason, I have a Medela Pump In Style. It is THE BOMB and when you need it, you need it. As far as bottles go, we just use Platex drop in nursers. My last baby would have rather set herself on FIRE than take a bottle, so she started on a sippy cup with breast milk at about 10 months. My oldest used Avent and was fine with them. I have a few Avent bottles with drop ins left from when my daughter was little, but once I run out of liners, that's it - they don't make them anymore, I think.
Since I stay at home and 1 of my 2 babies has refused bottles, I just plan on most of my frozen milk being used for baby food making and after weaning!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:57am
Sorry, I meant playtex dropins.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:27am

We have the Medela, but I am also going to be in school and working, so I will have to be pumping a lot at some point. As far as bottles, we are going to use Playtex Drop In's BPA Free... thats what I used with my daughter, and they were great.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:43am
Thesunshinekid - I just opened a box of those liners yesterday. My sister gave them to me, she thought they would fit a playtex nurser bottle and they do not. If you email me with your info I will ship them to you. Amanda.g.pinkas@gmail.com
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 3:10pm
SWEET. I'll email you when I get home!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 8:07am
I use the Medela pump in style pump and glass bottles. Hopefully this baby will accept the same. I only have a couple of bottles this time (lifefactory glass) around because I plan to just breastfeed mostly, but I needed the pump to relieve engorgement several times last time around. I also get lots and lots of milk, sometimes too much, but my DD was a very avid nurser.
Lilypie Maternity tickers