Training week one...

iVillage Member
Training week one...
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:46am
It's been a mixed bag this week. I have two students.

I think I told you about the week one revamp that happened. There are some glitches but they are easy fixes. I really like the new format. I feel more confident as an educator presenting it this way...partly because it is how I would learn it best I think. Making it more interactive and showing how services and products apply to common complaints as opposed to just talking for days on end about ingredients and product lines makes it much more palatable for everyone. :smileyhappy:

I had met one of my students when he came in for his interview. I met the other for the first time on Tuesday morning. My boss has been telling me about her and telling me how much I would like her...but right now, I'm irritated and annoyed by her!

I talked to my boss about some of the issues that I encountered...day one had a lot of not so subtle complaining about a sore shoulder (she had to reschedule her audition because she was in a car accident). Day two I got a text 30 minutes before class saying her arm and hand had gone numb the night before and she needed to go to the dr. She got to class at about noon so she missed the entire morning of information. I listened to how the accident caused her kidney to slump and there was also an impingement causing the numbness in her arm. But she is cleared to work. Day three (today) brought a morning of, "ooooh, that happened to me!" and, "my friend had that" stories (these have been generously sprinkled throughout the 3 days I've taught). There have been mentions of multiple car accidents, broken bones, sprains, anaphylactic shock, severe allergies and much, much more.
I'm exhausted. I'm documenting by advice of my boss. The vp of hr is aware. I'm not saying I want to get rid of her because of her personality (but maybe she's not a great fit because of it)...it's more that with all these injury stories, I have a feeling that she is not going to be able to perform her job at the capacity that we need her to. I am keeping close watch, asking her how she's feeling and documenting our conversions.
My boss had an interaction with her yesterday and when we talked today she said that our student seemed like a totally different person than the one she hired.
My gut feeling after the first day was that she's not a good fit. At this point, I feel like I'm making my case for future action. I hope she proves me wrong. But her behaviors are things that she's been forming for years...i just don't see how she can correct that and maintain those changes in the time I have with her. I will say the during exchanges today I got a glimpse of why my boss liked her so much. She does have good and natural verbiage and a good skill set...but now the question is if the trade off is worth it.

My other student, on the other hand, is great. He's taken feedback I've given him, applied it and improved. His main thing i'm working with him on is confidence. He's a self proclaimed awkward white guy...lol. He's been working on overcoming his shyness over the last year and I told him that this would be a good challenge for him to come out of his shell. He's excited and asks great questions and looks like he has a decent skill set.

I'm really glad that my boss listens to me about this kind of thing. She trusts my instincts and supports me in ways that I know other directors do not (in other departments the director/educator relationship is much less collaborative).

I'm in the spa the next couple days so my boss will be with them tomorrow and monday. Thank goodness! I've never felt like I needed a break from training!

Sarah

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:42am
An interesting few days there! I found myself wondering how your male student was affected by her behaviour, in a class of 2 it could be awkward, especially if he is not particularly outgoing himself. Hopefully it will work out and both will find their own particular niches.

Carole

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:37am
I can tell he's annoyed but her's not the type to say anything about it. Either myself our my boss will have a conversation with her about it soon.
It doesn't seem to be impeding his progress though.

Sarah

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 6:06pm

If she has those types of conversations with her clients, I'm not too sure they would want a return visit with her.  It wouldn't make for a relaxing  or positive visit would it? That's not to make light of her injuries, but maybe she needs to  think about the right time and the right place to share.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:51pm
Elaine, you're absolutely right. It was really weird how she was very professional during the exchange but immediately after talked about everything that's wrong with her.

An update: apparently on Friday she was a little under the weather but insisted on staying. My boss covers the Monday and Friday classes as I am not there those days. So she got to experience exactly what I told her was happening first hand....plus some new issues too. It seems like every day there has been a new ailment. They had a conversation after class on Friday about her needing to take care of herself over the weekend because she can't really miss any more of the training (she's already behind).
Last night at 11pm, my boss got a text saying that the student had been in and out of the ER all weekend so she wouldn't be in on Monday (today). Today they are supposed to learn about one of our most booked services.
Soooooooo...i think you all are wise enough to figure out what is going to happen next. I can't say I didn't see it coming after the first day.

I also found out this morning that two more of our therapists quit over the weekend. I'm bummed about one of them because we went through training together when we got hired and I really like her. She lives nearby me though so I have a feeling we might see each other. :smileyhappy:

I haven't even officially started my work week yet and it's already crazy! As I've said before, never a dull moment! lol

Sarah

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 12:15pm
When I read your initial post, I thought she probably wouldn't last. My first question when I start hearing all of that from people is "Is this real? or psychosomatic? Do we have a person with real medical issues? Or do we have a hypochondriac with real fears? Or do we have someone who wants/needs attention?" In *my* instance, it makes a difference how and where the person gets plugged in and how I address their needs, but addressing their needs is not your responsibility in your context. I can understand why that worked out the way it did. Your instincts are good, Sarah. You should always trust them. I'm glad you have a boss who does as well. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

&nb