Discouraged. How to gauge freezer supply

iVillage Member
Discouraged. How to gauge freezer supply
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 7:28am
Hi, my little guy will be 6 months next week and miraculously i have hung in with pumping. We started solids at around 4.5 months bc hes such a ravenous eater i thought it might help tide him over. He loves it but it hasnt changed his milk intake yet (28 oz per day plus about 5the oz solids).

I have 1600oz or so frozen. Anyone know how to estimate how long a supply lasts? Ive read they take less milk at 8-9the months but is there some trick to it or formula or is every baby different and he might stick to 28 or so through to a year? Hoping to be able to stop soon but carry him through on at least half/mostly bm to a year. Pumping while hes awake and im alone with him is often torture for us both. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 12:24pm
  • All you can do is estimate!  Babies change their schedules all the time due to illness, growth spurts, changing diets once more solids are added in as time goes on etc.   It's very hard to tell and I'd hate to give you the wrong amount and then you end up short or something!  Consider what your LO is drinking now and know that generally it will not go up, but down...leave yourself some extra too, just in case! 

If you haven't already I'd strongly advise you to ensure your LO will accept frozen and perhaps start rotating some of it through, so use up some older frozen stash and stash some fresh!  I speak from experience since my LO didn't accept frozen and I had a TON already in the deep freeze...I should have prepared it differently and hadn't done so, so I lost alot of hard work! :o(