Taking Prenatal Vitamins While TTC?

iVillage Member
Taking Prenatal Vitamins While TTC?
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:06am

Doctors have been telling women for years to take their prenatal vitamins during pregnancy, but now there's new reason to start taking them before you even plan to have a baby.

A new study found women who did not take their prenatal vitamins right before and during their pregnancies were twice as likely to have an autistic child, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Taking Prenatal Vitamins in the First Month of Pregnancy Can Reduce Autism Risk, Study Finds- http://www.parentdish.com/2011/05/26/pregnancy-prenatal-vitamins/

Interesting!  Is anyone taking prenatal vitamins now?  How long have you been taking them?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-16-2012 - 12:18pm

Yes, I'm taking a hand full of vitamins every day =) The only ones RX'ed by my RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) are prenatal, folic acid and baby aspirin. The other ones I take are B, C, D, E and DHA. I've been taking them all for 5+ years.

Caryn 
Expecting #2 
DD born May '10

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-04-2012 - 11:08pm

I know I should, and I know all the facts, I guess maybe I'm lazy, or too poor to purchase them unless necessary.... I have two children, and started taking them after getting a BFP with my first, and before with my second, but in the end my better pregnancy and birth outcome was from the first... my second though not a neural tube defect had all sorts of problems in pregnancy, in labor and at birth.  I guess I'm trying to be smart but not overly worried at the same time you know?  I eat pretty healthy and include a lot of colorful veggies in our family diet, with proper amounts of protein and other good things.  I don't smoke, I don't drink, I'm doing what I can without killing the bank on something that I don't know is actually going to happen.  we are barely breaking even right now... if I am pregnant I'll def. be getting the vitamins, but if not then I can't afford to spend the money on them.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-03-2012 - 1:49pm
When I got my IUD removed in August my doctor prescribed them to me. She said it was best to take them for 3 months prior to conceiving. FX I'm safe, as the BFP happened after 3 months of taking my prenatals.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 11:57pm

It would be best to start taking them as soon as possible, they've found that neural tube defect happen within the first 6 weeks of development so if your not taking vitamins until after you've find out your pregnant (which is usually somewhere between 3 and 6 weeks along for a lot of people) - it may be too late to prevent a defect from lack of folate.

They make my stomach churn a bit too, especially since you should take them on an empty stomach (more folate is absorbed that way). I usually grab a few crackers right before or after I take mine to keep my stomach from being too mad at me. :)

good luck to you!

-Kristina

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 3:59pm
I hope to be part of the July 2013 EC too! I'm crossing my fingers for you as well. I'm not taking the vitamins.. I always forget, and they make me sick.. I'll probably pick up some flinstone gummies as soon as I get a BFP.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 4:42pm
My OB/GYN prescribed me prenatal vitamins the day he took my IUD out and recommended taking them for 3 months before I conceive, I've been taking them since July now. So here I am taking my vitamins and hoping pregnancy will happen this cycle and I'll be part of the July 2013 club! *crossing fingers* :) Kristina