BTDT Ladies- What Do You Wish You Had Known...

iVillage Member
BTDT Ladies- What Do You Wish You Had Known...
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:13am

BTDT ladies- what do you wish you had about being pregnant before you experienced it for the first time?

If you've been pregnant before, I'm sure a few things happened during your previous pregnancies that caught you by surprise. I was really surprised by the lack of sleep I got while pregnant. Between getting up to use the bathroom 10 times a night to not being able to get comfortable, I got very little good sleep during pregnancy. I thought the sleepless nights would come after baby arrived!

22 Things No One Told You About Being Pregnant- http://www.ivillage.com/22-things-no-one-told-you-about-being-pregnant-0/6-b-315291?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp...

Share with the first-time mamas here!  What things do you wish someone had told you about pregnancy before you experienced it for the first time?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 5:11pm

I am a first-timer, so I was almost afraid to read this article.

I am dreading having everyone ask personal questions. :-P I need to come up with a nice, dismissive, pat response to every one of those questions.

I am a little annoyed at #18. I am a mature, 35+ woman. I am a confident and grown-up woman. I don't think going through pregnancy or having a baby will make me "grow up" - it's just a new phase and facet of life. Halle Berry and I have very little in common, thank you. :-P

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:30pm

I wish someone had told me what an emotional rollercoaster this can be.  Sure, they say that in the books, but they don't say why.  You might find yourself feeling alone, unwanted, unloved.  You might find yourself feeling like your friends don't like you, your husband is the wrong person for you, your family is ignoring you- and if you do - talk to someone who you know loves you unconditionally.  Let that person walk you through it and do your best to trust them.  Sometimes our hormones really can cloud our judgement.  

Twist and stretch your mid-section every day - even if it doesn't feel tight now - it will!  Keep it as limber as you can for as long as you can.  You will be thankful in your 3rd tri.

I never did kegels, and I have no complaints.  

Nursing bras are not necessary.  I never used them.

The Medela Pump n Go is the best invention on the planet.

So is this bassinet - please just trust this stranger you met online and buy it.  It's a Godsend.  I've loaned it to 2 other very happy moms and babies.  (Here is one version, I have a yellow one)
http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-my-little-sweetie-deluxe-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-13868978#prodSlot=medium_1_9&term=fisher price bassinet

No baby is the same - trust YOUR instincts above all else, all the time.