Annoyed with DCP!

iVillage Member
Annoyed with DCP!
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:44am

Just a quick vent - and feel free to tell me if I'm being ridiculous.

In general, I LOVE the DCP we use!  But, Wednesday night (literally as I'm turning into our driveway) Ashley proceeds to vomit all over herself and the carseat.  Mind you I can't handle vomit as the smell alone makes me want to get sick myself (and on top of my already wishy washy PG stomach, this was not good).  DH was at work, in a meeting, so he couldn't come help me and I was stuck getting Ashley out, undressed and everything away from my car without becoming ill myself.....it was interesting.  But I digress.....other than vomitting Ashley seemed fine (no fever, no lethargic behavior, etc.).  But she was unable to keep anything down the rest of the evening (we tried bananas, apples sauce, crackers, etc.). 

When she woke up Thursday morning and didn't have a temperature I decided to send her to DCP.....no real reason not to.....I just made sure not to feed her before we left so we didn't have any more incidents in the car.  Here's the kicker...

When I get to DCP and explain what had happened the night before and asked them to keep an eye on her during the day and call if it continued the teacher said "oh yea, the stomach bug has been going around the 1st floor for the past two days, about half the kids were out sick yesterday and a couple parents & teachers caught it too"......

SERIOUSLY.....half your students, some parents & teachers have a 24 hour stomach bug and no one thought it would be a good idea to inform the parents of this? I was beside myself Wednesday night trying to figure out what was wrong and why nothing would stay down....assuming I'd be calling the doctor in the morning and all along the school knew something and didn't share???

I'm not asking for a list of the kids with the bug (I understand there's privacy issues), but a simple notification email that something is going around the school would have been appreciated.......

OK, rant over!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 3:23pm

It definitely stinks and I brought it up with the assistant director and basically she told me that if they had a confirmed outbreak of the stomach bug they would advise parents in a way that was "wash your hands, be more careful" kind of way.....but in this case it was had to confirm that's what the problem was.  She said a couple of the babies that appeared to have it also had gotten shots recently, so parents thought it might be a reaction to those and some of the parents called their kids out sick without reporting vomitting or any other relevant signs.....she said by the time they figured that MIGHT be what it was, it had seemed to pass. 

Stinks, but I can understand that.....and the HIPPA laws you brought up as well.  I was just annoyed.....and was even more annoyed Sunday when i seemed to catch it myself and spent all day on the couch unable to keep anything down :( 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 2:45pm

Unfortunately they can't give out that kind of information (even verbally as an side) because it is a huge HIPPA violation and could get them in big trouble.  I know it stinks - there are many times that I have found out that one of my students is really sick or has lice and I think why didn't someone tell me.  Espscially since I have long hair and close contact with the students when they are on the computers and need help.  But they can't even tell the other teachers thanks to this law.