3F = Fall Friday Fun

iVillage Member
3F = Fall Friday Fun
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:28am
Good day all! What is going on in your part of the world? Guess you have the seen the note how ivillage is coming home for us all? I am off to work in my garden, the watermelon is taking over the back forty and headed into the woods, making mowing fun! My dh ate dinner with my youngest in between his flag football game and going to the library. Since my husband is a traveling salesman and i tend to always pull weekend and holiday shifts he gets to see the boys more than me...makes me envious! They called me to try to get me to bring the scooter in the truck up to Gainesville today. Like I could get it in the back of the bed by myself? My dh found the scooter and gave it to my youngest so he would have a vehicle while his wife has their car for nursing school. I thought a bike should have been sufficient ...anywho..:smileywink: i want him to get a helmet first so I maybe Monday after my dh comes home he can get his buddies to help him push it up the ramp and strap it down. Besides harveswater tomatoes, and peppers, While he was out of town I went crabbing so will have to shell our dinner! What are you planning? :smileyhappy: Saturday marks the thirteenth anniversary in my present job.  That’s the longest I’ve been employed at any one place in my life (I got around a lot when I was younger, y’see) :smileywink: Anyway… :smileyhappy: What’s the longest time you’ve held a job at one place? Oh, and yes, that also includes jobs that are not paid in salary, so “being a parent/mom/dad/spouse" counts.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:06pm

I have been in my present job as a lawyer for 15 yrs--and now I'm looking.  lol  Seriously, this was a good job to have while I was the single mother of young kids because as you could imagine most lawyer jobs in firms are more than 40 hrs a week.  I neede the flexibility but I paid for it in having a low salary and no benefits--now I'm looking at maybe 11 more years of work and I'd like to make a little more money, plus the cost of health insurance (did I mention no benefits?) is draining me. 

Tonight I am planning on going out to dinner with a client who has become a friend.  After that, if I get home early I will go to my dance studio which I usually do on Friday nights for their "practice dancing."  Other than that I don't really have any plans.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 4:22pm
I guess I've had my current job longer than I've been a parent, but not longer than I've been a spouse ('88)- started work at this job in Sept '90, got let go from Jan '93-Jan'94 but am back since.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 4:27pm
Friday nights are always pizza at our house. Tonight it's from one of our favorite local Take and Bake's, Papa Murphy's. I guess the longest I worked for one company was when I worked in IT from at the same large Fortune 100 company where my dh still works. I worked there from 1988-1999 so 11 years. I've been a spouse for 29 1/2 years and a mom for a little over 25 years :smileywink:
Pam
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 9:19am

My longest full-time job lasted 6 yrs as a med tech after earning my B.S.  I stayed on part-time for two more yrs after DS29 was born.  Counting my volunteering, my longest part-time work was for the learning center for students with reading difficulties; I worked in several capacities for that org for 12 yrs.  In between I worked in finance for two health care orgs full-time, but for a total of only 8 yrs.  Except for my first year as a med tech when DH was still a grad student, he earned considerably more than I, so I was the one to forego a career when we chose to make more parent time for our boys.

Liz, I understand about the health insurance.  DH's cousin and his wife in Phoenix are both attys, but she's only part- time and doesn't get health insurance with her firm.  She pays about $1000/mo for a private plan to insure herself and their two sons, ages 20 & 17, because it's a better deal than family coverage at her husband's firm.

Elle, my DH just returned from a 3-day trip to  MI where he got a chance to visit with DS23, but only for a couple of hours.  Both DSs are so busy with their studies, we hardly get to see them or talk to them.

We've been having sunny, dry weather--finally--here in the DC area, but it's a bit chilly.  Today we plan to go for a walk in a county park.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/october/meet_the_new_health_.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTBYQlQ7yM

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:19pm
Hi Pamela,
No not really bike like...I think it looks like the ones Shriners use in parades. Especially with the size of my boy! It is bare bones not VespA like ...it is a knock off of a Honda by I can't remember the mfg...something Chinese. It was a great buy for $150...cheaper than his real bike!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:22pm
Hi Liz,
Did you have time for dancing? Will you change the kind of law you practice?
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:29pm
Hi jean,
I called my youngest the other night, he sounded like I had woke him up his voice was whispering like, turns out he was in the library so I said "get back to studying will catch ya later " my dh usually times visits with dinners...he never turns down a free restaurant meal!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 5:38pm

Let's see... I've been with DH for 40 years, married for 35 (next month).  I've been a mother for 31.25 years.  We've lived in this house 25.5 years.  The longest I was employed at any one place was 18 years for an insurance co.  I began as a health claims adjuster, and ended as the manager of the Chicago benefit payments office.  Next longest was 9 years with one dentist, altho I have simultaneously worked for a dental staffing agency --owned and operated by one woman-- doing temporary Dental Hygiene, for 18 years.  I have a group of girlfriends whom I met the first day of college, the 2nd time around.  We've been friends, and still get together at least once a month, for 20 years.   I have another girlfriend I've known since High School - that's 46 years, and one I've known since the first day of Kindergarten - that's 54 years!!!  I talk to her at least once a week, and see her a few times a month.  I guess I tend to put down roots.  Maybe that's why I like to garden. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:42pm
Hi Sam, Dontcha love your community! Speaking of gardening and girlfriends :smileywink: My favorite G G's!:-) I got a special delivery! A knocky knocky on my door and who came to my front door? A van full! I was gifted 2mulberry, 2 lychee, a mango, butter avocado, and a plumeria tree yesterday! Round and round the mulberry bush ....:smileyhappy: Does your garden go to bed this time of year or are you sprouting mums and bulbs?