Have you seen this ad?

iVillage Member
Have you seen this ad?
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:21am
Check out this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yda8RtOcVFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player Here is an ad titled "Sugar is Killing Us" by Fred, a water company, It does a good job of telling a complex story quickly, without jargon, and with a light enough touch to make it a scientifically grounded message. I shared it with my boys, even tho I probably am more the fructose fiend then them.  How do we entice sweet folk into serious self examinations? (speaking of one biggie who went to fructose in their recipe...read today that coke is no longer going to be available in bottles).  Does your college student drink sodas, Gatorade, or HiC?  The clip makes a contention that folks can be convinced en masse to change their eating habits and "force the food industry to produce healthier food and stop adding sugar," well, it's a sweet idea.  Hard to hear how our kids generation will be  first to not outlive their parents!  
Community Leader
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 3:12pm
Happened to see this and wanted to echo that its hard! Mine oldest lives on soda, which is my own fault since I did for many years also and she got the habit from me. I have made a 180 degree turn around at the house and don't keep any in the house and have went to a very healthy diet, but explaining that to her, not happening. I want to lay a better foundation for when she goes off to college next year, especially if she is on a college sports team, knowing she'll need better nutrition than she's getting now. I've also tried to explain to her that all the sugar/carbs she ingests also is a huge culprit in her acne, which isn't too much compared to many kids, but it would definitely help. I guess other than not keeping it in the house and trying to educate them without being pushy is the only thing you can really do. I don't keep much in the house anymore, but with her own job, car and money, she's free to spend it as she wishes (to some extent of course). As for food industry, as long as people keep buying it, and they have lobbyists on their side, they will continue to sell it. I think until people really start just plain not buying it, nothing much is going to change. You have to hit them where it hurts, in their pocket books. But, I do believe that people should be able to have the free will to decide what they want to eat and drink, plain and simple, if they choose to drink and eat crap, then they should be able to, I think it needs to be more about education.
Photobucket