Cleo's going to the vet today....

Community Leader
Cleo's going to the vet today....
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 12:04pm

I've said before that sometimes I believe vet offices try to get you to puchase things that are not necessary.  I do like my vet clinic but believe they push a bit too much on some things.  Cleo's almost 7 (we think) so now they consider her a "senior dog"...which means they want her to have more than one "annual" exam.  I'm not buying it....for Samantha she was definitely senior; I don't believe that Cleo is.

But since she goes to the Dog Park I need to keep her Bordatella up to date and she needs a booster; so she's going for that today.  I also need heart worm meds.  DH wants them to look at her eye; she has a tiny cyst at the bottom of one eye...he said the last time he was there with her the vet noticed it but it hasn't grown so I'm not worried.

She's usually good at the vet but I actually set up the appointment thinking that DH would take her.  Then one of our clients changed his session time, so I'm "it". 

Laura
Community Leader
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 11:52am

I'm not even sure what they consider as "senior", but for senior dogs they recommend two exams a year.  The cyst on Cleo's eye is actually on her lower lid but since DH said the vet noticed it the last time she was in, there hasn't been a change.  If it does get larger at least I know it can be removed by a laser and not invasive surgery....although I'm sure it will cost the same....LOL....

Laura
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:35pm
I don't believe 7 is senior either. My vet has never said that my dogs need "special" senior care and they're definitely senior now! The vet never says the should have more blood tests or stuff like that. I'm usually the one asking for other stuff or asking if other stuff might be beneficial because I'm a worry-wart! But 7 y/o just isn't old enough to worry for Cleo in my opinion! Emmy has a cyst as well on her upper eye lid but it's nothing bad just ugly. LOL! Glad everything was good with Cleo's appointment! I tend to think that mixed breeds are longer-lived and sturdier than pure-breeds but that's just a personal opinion.
Community Leader
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:06pm
I have never, ever skimped on my dogs' care....any of them. We spent thousands trying to help my ^Valentine^...and spent so much for ^Samantha^ too. I know that since Cleo goes to the Dog Park the kennel cough booster is important....but paying for another exam plus a fecal culture....which isn't necessary...is just not something I'm going to do. If she needs care, she'll definitely get it...
Laura
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:16pm
You know your pet the best of anyone. If Cleo doesn't have "issues" that need to be monitored I wouldn't call her a senior dog either. If something comes up then you take her in...

Glad the cyst just needs to be watched at this point.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:15pm
I've never heard of a perscription fee. :smileysurprised:( WOW what next?
Community Leader
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:38am

You mean he charges you a $5 if you ask for a script?  Or for an actual prescription?

Cleo's fine....I asked about the cyst on her eye and, of course, the vet tech said that if it becomes an issue when it will have to be evaluated by the vet; but that they can remove it with a laser if need be.  For now I'm just going to keep watch and if it gets larger I'll worry about it.

Laura
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 5:28pm

My vet doesn't push me for appointments and things I don't need.  Only one thing annoys me.  He charges a $5 prescription fee when I get meds.

Here's hoping Cleo is fine.