Poll: Nano or not?

iVillage Member
Poll: Nano or not?
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 2:21pm
I'm about 45 lbs overweight and I'm just under 5 feet tall. I would like to start walking 30-60 minutes a day. The weather is perfect and I'm motivated. I can say for sure that I would be much more successful if I could listen to music or podcasts while walking. I have found enough money to buy a Nano. The cost of the Nano is about the same as 4 months of a gym membership. I have made no new major purchases for myself in years. Dh spends $90/month on Aikido. My cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure are high. I really need to exercise. I would take the dog and she would get more attention which she desperately needs. We could use the money to do other things like new tires for the car, paint for the outside of the house, repairs in Evan's room, pay the kids back allowance, etc. Clearly plenty of worthwhile and necessary things to do with the money. Honest poll... Nano or no nano... Please be honest. I know what I want to do but I want some rational, uninvolved input.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 2:34pm
If this is the boost to get your jumpstarted on your way to fitness, then go for it. I would first consider...

Will you keep walking once it gets cold out? Will the nano just sit? Can you alternate with the kids to use their Ipod during the day and see if you'll stick with it to make sure the pruchase will be used?

Some unsolicited advice, the kids allowence is an extra. They have the privileges of swim, dances, riding, etc. If they want allowence, then they need to pay towards those items or for now no allowence. They are old enough to understand that things need to change for a bit to allow your DH's pay to stabilize and to get caught up. Also, if the damage to Evan's room was caused by him, he should be paying to fix it and for the labor.

Community Leader
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 3:04pm
Get the nano. Are you talking a brand new one, the ones that just came out, or another older version or a refurbished one that is slightly less expensive? Not that it really matters, your health is more important than the other things IMO right this moment, having been through and still working on a pretty major health crisis myself, if it has taught me one thing, it is that I (i.e. you) need to come first at times, your health is of utmost importance, because without that, the whole family will be in a tailspin. And if getting a nano is the boost you need to help you along with that, then splurge and do it. We belong to the Y, and while its great for the kids to swim at, I originaly got it more for me, and I just can't carve out the time to use it, and I feel like its a waste of money at times. But I do try and use it to get some money out of it, including using the free babysitting services once a month to get things done, such as doing my cheerleading committments next Friday night for Jordyn. But honestly, there are so many months I feel like its such a waste of money. If you can use the money for something you know you will use more like a nano, go for it.

I have a really long post all done, but I don't want to bore anyone else with it, so I will just PM you with it, and you can take it or leave it. LOL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:09pm

If this is what you need to get motivated to exercise, then go for it--the long term benefits will be worth it.  Imagine how much it would cost if you had major health problems.  I know when I was doing the treadmill I could never do it w/o having an IPod--it really takes your mind off how long you are exercising, plus when I was getting tired, I'd put on some peppy music.  Do you have Planet Fitness gyms in your area?  They are where I live & they only cost $10 a month.  I live in the Northeast so  you can't really exercise outside in the winter.  I switched to taking ballroom dancing classes which are definitely more expensive, but a lot more fun for me.  It's probably not in the budget but I think that moms tend to put ourselves last for everything--do you think your DH ponders whether he should spend the money for his Akido which he likes?  You also deserve to do something for you.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:05pm
Well, after looking at eBay and trying to find a refurbished model through the Apple store, I had no luck so I went and bought a new one. I glad I bought it and I've got it loaded and ready to go for tomorrow. Bad news is, dh had the hood on the van fly up and crack the windshield. He's fine and luckily he did not get into an accident but what I paid for the Nano could have paid for most of the windshield... I keep telling myself my health is more important than a windshield but I feel incredibly guilty!
Community Leader
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:13am
Glad you got it Ami! But ug on the windshield. Will insurance pay for it, or is your deductible too high to bother to make a claim?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:27am
The deductible is too high to make a claim...