Only 6 weeks?

iVillage Member
Only 6 weeks?
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 3:23pm

Has anyone ever had this happen?  I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and I thought I was 6 weeks, my doc did a vagnially u/s because I have had previous miscarriages and all he saw was a little fuzz on the screen.  He asked me if I was sure on my dates and that according to the u/s I was really early.  I went back in today and  we saw a baby and a heartbeat :smileyhappy:  This did reassure me until he said it showed I was 6 weeks and 1 day.  How is that possible?  When he asked me the first time around if I was sure on my dates I thought about and realized that I probably did  ovulate later which would make since but even ovulating later I should still be 7.5 weeks or so.  I took a pregnancy test on Septemeber 16th.....we will have known for almost 4 weeks!  Is this possible?  I just really want this and I am so tired of worrying.  He is going to do another u/s in 3 weeks.....but 3 weeks is a looooooooong time!

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-04-2012 - 1:20am

It does happen, even if you're absolutely sure of your LMP, your ovulation can still be signifigantly delayed.

I had my due date moved up a whole week (which just barely put me in the May 2013 board) but I'm glad the doctor was willing to offically change it, since now I'm a lot less likely to have to go in for an induction because the baby is "overdue."

Congrats on the heartbeat, that's a great sign!

BabyFruit Ticker

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:27am

First of all, try not to stress out about this. You've seen the baby and the heartbeat, try to let that ease your worries. 

Second, yes this has happened to me. I went in for my first baby at what I believed was 12 weeks. Instead I was measuring at 9w5d - almost 2.5 weeks off! The entire pregnancy they measured by their date, although at every appointment I reminded them I believed the date was wrong. My son ended up being born nearly 3 weeks before their date, but only 2 days before the due date from when I believed it was. And he was happy and healthy. I stressed out a lot because I couldn't believe an ultrasound could be wrong. Especially when they say babies all grow at such a close rate that early. But eventually I stopped stressing and just remained calm and it all worked out.

You can't control what's happening with baby right now, you can only control yourself. Baby needs a calm, stress-free belly to grow in, just keep providing that =)

----

Edited for typo. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 5:16pm

That heartbeat is a wonderful sign. Keep thinking about that!

I am so new to this and I am confused about how they set due dates, etc., so I am of no help there. I think if the doc says everything looks good, go with that!