Eli- please keep him in your prayers

iVillage Member
Eli- please keep him in your prayers
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 7:43pm

It has been a whirlwind 24 hours, and this may be long...sorry!   So what's going on is, starting last week he was waking up feeling dizzy and having blurred vision.  It would come and go throughout the day, but kept getting worse and more of a problem for him as the days went by.  Yesterday it was so bad that he couldn't see the board at school anymore (and the week before he could see it just fine).  Last night @ wrestling practice he complained about not being able to see while he was wrestling and DH got freaked and we both knew something wasn't right. 

I took him to an Express care place.  I have seen far too many seemingly healthy kids get diagnosed with very serious things out of the blue (in particular the little boy with a brain tumor whose only symptom was blurred vision).  We got there at 8pm and ended up being transferred to Children's ER for a cat scan.  It was 2:00 am when we left!  I wasn't thrilled with the doctors we saw ( we were told to make a pediatric neurologist appt and the nurses both had him read a chart standing far away and saying that he had perfect vision.  AS IF I AM making this up! I know my child and I know when something is wrong!!!  Throughout the night, if I held up anywhere from 1 to 5 fingers (only standing 4 feet away), he couldn't get them all right, and was struggling to see them.  He was not like this a week or even a few days ago!!! 

So the CT scan was normal, thank goodness (I was really scared of the worst).  I called in sick and Eli and I slept until 11 am today.  I wanted to follow up with a primary doctor, but since we are new here, we don't have one yet, and the one I have used for Hunter was closed Fridays (and I'm finding out most places close at 12 pm anyway here on Friday).  So we went to the optometrist instead. 

I loved this doctor!  They listened to all of our concerns and did a full eye exam, including the strongest eye drops to get a good look at everything.  She was great with kids too.  We learned a lot tonight ...it turns out Eli has "accomodative dysfunction".  It's not an eyesight problem (he showed up as not having eyesight problems, but rather focusing problems.  So apparently this is common in kids and he could outgrow it.  Basically his eye muscles are working so hard to focus that they are staying tight and not relaxing when he is reading.  Then when he goes to look around farther away, everything is blurry.  It can come on suddenly like this, according to the doctor, and she seemed certain with the tests she did that this is the problem.  So to correct it, we ordered some bifocal glasses for him.  The top part will have no perscription and the bottom will have one just for reading so that his eyes learn to relax and he can see the farther distances.  I never heard of this before, but hopefully it works.  Once the glasses come in it should take a week or two for him to adjust.  He loves the pair he chose and they were expensive, but I'm feeling much better that all of this worrying could come down to such an easy fix.  Please keep him in your prayers that this is all he needs!!!!  (Oh, and a side note...he has a bunch of freckles on his left eye ball.  Apparently this is common too, but we will monitor them every 6 months.  I never knew you could have freckles on your eyeball!). 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:58pm
Hugs! I'm glad that you found the problem! Prayers that the glasses fix it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:03pm
Thanks Nicky for being there to talk to and give me phone #'s the other night. I was just going to text you but now you got the whole story :smileyhappy:.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:45pm

How scary! I am glad you kept at it and didn't give up when the cat scan came back normal. Hope the glasses work well. And I totally didn't know freckles on eyeballs was possible - learn something new everyday. (((HUGS))) to you and Eli!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:01pm
Oh my gosh, Jen! How scary for you. I hope the glasses fix the problem. Poor Eli!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:42pm

I'm glad that the eye doc was so good!  I will keep you all in my prayers that this is only short term for him... hugs to you!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 11:03pm
Jen, this sounds SO scary! You guys were so smart to take him to the optometrist. Keeping him in my prayers for sure that this is the fix and he adjusts! I've heard bifocals can be tough to adjust to but hopefully he is quick.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:08am
That is so scary! So glad the cure was only glasses! Whew!! Freckles on the eyes? Who knew!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 4:29pm
I'll be praying that the glasses help and that he does outgrow the problem. Definitely a scary situation! I'm glad you found a good eye doctor.
~Amanda
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:24am

Jen, I just read this today but i'm so glad they figured it out.  I hope this is all it is, and the glasses help.  Poor Eli!  He IS a freckle-y kid though.  :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 12:04pm

Whew Jen!  I'm glad this wound up being a pretty common issue that can be resolved easily!  What a night you must have had!

131.gif image by y_baros th5K.gif image by jade_simo