Ongoing contractions? braxton hicks?

iVillage Member
Ongoing contractions? braxton hicks?
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:05pm

Hi ladies. I'm a BTDT mom so I should know the answer to this but I don't. This pregnancy is totally different from the first one. I am 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I have a scheduled c-section so no doctor has checked me for any progress despite me saying that I keep getting contractions. This week was very stressful at work and worked more than 40 hrs. Today, since about 3pm I started having what I thought were braxton hick contractions.......the stomach hardens but no pain. The problem is that it is 8pm and they have not stopped! They are constant and now I am starting to have pain in lower abdomen and some mild back pain. I just wanted to know if any of you have experienced something like this.  Thanks!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:46pm

Are you having weekly OB appointments?  If they don't get painful, I'd mention it at your next appointment.  If they get any worse, I'd call and report it.  They may have you come in for monitoring.  Better to go in and get checked out, compared to staying home worrying and stressing about it.  I agree with the other post - stay really hydrated to help minimize the contractions.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 11:46am

Thanks for the info ladies. Contractions stopped around 1am last night! I woke up without them and now they are starting again. I better get used to them.....I am hoping to not go into labor until the 24th. I would love to meet our baby boy right now but I am on a tight schedule as far as maternity leave and being able to stay off work throughout the Holidays. So I hope he is able to wait :-) but I know babies come when they are ready. Good luck to you all and thanks again!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 9:02am
For the past 3 weeks or more I have been having a combo of contractions. So much so that my doc started my pelvic exams early. I will have batches where the contractions last anywhere from 3-5 hours and are anywhere from 6-12 mins apart and last about 30 seconds each. This is all on top of the random all day contractions. So far this has just helped to dilate and efface me but not enough to jump me completely into labor. Some I have pain with, some I don't but most of the time it leads to extremely sore muscles both in my back and lower abdomen/pelvic floor. I am in so much pain all the time because of this and have to sit and sleep with a heating pad or I can't walk because of the tightness in my muscles. I never had this with DS and the doctor isn't sure why i am having so many so often, but she keeps an eye on it. Bottom line is if it doesn't throw you into active labor it may just be early labor that is trying to dilate/efface you until you get ready enough to go all the way. I keep hoping that there is some relief soon (by way of delivery) but the longer I hang on the more pain I get all the time. At this point I am kinda jealous that you have a scheduled date. Good luck in the meantime, and use a heating pad to help with sore back/hip/pelvic muscles if the contractions leave you sore and painful. Doc never said I should worry though. HTH! :smileyvery-happy:
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:33pm
With ODD, I had 1 night of time-able braxton hicks. I thought for sure labor, but barely to no pain. I eventually went to sleep. They weren't there the next day. However, at 2 am the next morning, I was in full blown labor, and those contractions hurt like heck. Try drinking a bunch of water and going to bed. Sleep relaxes your muscles. If they are still there in the morning, I'd go get checked out.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:52pm
My first contractions weren't very noticeable either - I had mild back pain and cramping before my water broke. After that, the pain was relatively mild for about 2 hrs. I was 38w1d. Keep us posted!

- JM