Twin Cities Marathon

iVillage Member
Twin Cities Marathon
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:44pm

Five of us trained for Twin Cities and planned to run the race together. A hurt her knee on our last 20 mile run and was going back and forth whether she was going to run the race. She went to the PT just a few days before we were going to run and he told her that she had a torn miniscus. We were all so bummed for her.

So, the 4 of us made the trip up to Minneapolis on Saturday. We met at the expo and looked around. Then we headed back to the hotel. K and I went up without our families, while L brought her hubby, and R brought her hubby and parents (it was her first marathon). So, we try to figure out dinner. It gets later and later. None of us can make a decision that satisfies everyone! Finally just the 4 of us head to Olive Garden. And wouldn't you know it, it's Homecoming and it's packed! So we get it to go and eat it at the hotel.

We get all of our stuff ready for the race and head to bed. We wake up, get ready, take a couple of pictures, and get on the bus. The great part is that we could wait inside the Metrodome until the race started. And use the restrooms there! It was 28* when the race started. Brrrr! That's cold anyway, but it had been 80* just a couple of days before.

We waited a bit too long to go outside and ended up at the back of our corral. So we had quite a bit of weaving to do at the first of the race. And we took the first mile too fast! After that we settled in. In all that weaving, we got separated from L and R. The first 15 miles or so went really well. We walked through the water stops and ran the rest at a good pace. I knew where I had started struggling last year and K flipped that spot off for me! LOL!

At the 13.1 mat there was a girl that had a sign that said - You are a rock star, just like Bon Jovi. You're halfway there. And so that song was going through my head for a while. We even sang it, which had some runners giving us a funny look! :smileywink:

At mile 18, I started feeling it. Nothing injured, but my back and legs hurt. So I got my iPod out and started listening to music. And starting really praying for water stops, so I could stop and walk for a few steps! We slowed down a bit, but K really kept me going. I got to mile 24 and I was really, really hurting! But I just kept thinking, stopping now to walk would just be stupid. So I kept going. The last half mile was a small uphill, little bit bigger downhill, then flat. We picked it up. I thought for sure my legs were going to not catch me on the next step.

So, my goals for this race were - run the whole thing (except for walking through the water stops), then under 4:15, then PR (C, B, A goals). Well, I managed the first 2! I was about 3 1/2 minutes slower than a PR. I finally feel like I'm on the right track, though. I didn't let my head tell me that I couldn't.

This is a beautiful marathon, by the way.  And the spectators are awesome.  Every single mile, every single step really, there were spectators there cheering you on.  Awesome, you guys should run this one if you ever get the chance!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 9:56pm

Awesome job and I love the Livin' on a Prayer sign. I am soooo making one for a race in which I am spectating. Congrats on a wonderful race. When is the next one?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:40pm
Great job Dawn. You really did awesome. I am always in awe of all you do and how well you do it.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 7:18pm
Great job, Dawn!! And I'm glad you got to run it with friends.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 8:46am
Congrats on pushing forward and staying positive!
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 2:51pm

Woot! Great job, Dawn!! Sounds like you are back on track! :smileyvery-happy: Way to stay strong!

~~ Valerie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 9:51am
Maria, next marathon will be next fall, just not sure which one yet. In the spring we are looking at a series of 3 halfs in the Kansas City area. And probably doing our favorite half in Lincoln, also. So that would be 4 halves in 5 weeks! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:25am
Yay! Congratulations Dawn! And how fun to go the whole way with your RP and accomplish 2 of your 3 goals! Sounds like a success to me!

131.gif image by y_baros th5K.gif image by jade_simo

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:30am
So happy that your race went well, Dawn! Meeting two of the three goals is super, and it sounds like you had a great time! I still cant believe you did the relay so soon after!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:59am

Congratulations! I am glad the race went well and that you are happy with the results.

lorie6-26-09.png Lorie 6-26-09 picture by runningwomen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:44pm

Congrats on another marathon in the books!  Sounds like you had a great run and a good time with your friends! :smileyhappy:

Photobucket