Rough time

iVillage Member
Rough time
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 10:28pm

I feel very down right now. My sil just died this week which is really hard for my dh and mil (who lives with us - nice lady but not always easy), punctuated by another email from my son's teachers today. I recently lost my mother this June to cancer as well. And for the past 1.5 yrs, all the while I feel like I've been battling for a diagnosis, first, for my son's tics and, now, adhd. I know I will be ok and that it's just a rotten time. Just, it's been rough.

Luckily my son is more of the distracted, unfocused, forget-his-head if wasn't attached variety. He does have a bit of a tantrum when he's upset, but the stomp up stairs to his room kind thankfully. Mostly he is the sweetest kid. Hug out of nowhere. "Mom, I love you" out of nowhere. He's a good kid. And I feel like I'm strung up with other drama and not learning enough, fast enough to help him.

I do want to contact his neurologist to see if he has a good behavioral therapist contact w/ adhd experience. Is that what any of you have done? I've been reading a book (Smart but Scattered) about helping kids cope with deficiencies in "executive skills" that is common in adhd kids, but I haven't gotten into the "application" portion yet - really ready to skip chapters. Any books out there you have found helpful after I conquer this one?

Thanks,

Mary

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 3:18pm

Hi Mary, welcome to the board!  Using a behavior therapist is a great first step, how old is your son?   My son is 14 and ADHD, inattentive also.  He is on medication, it's worked well at giving him the focus he needs to get his schoolwork done.  He managed without it until about 5th grade, than the work just became a struggle to keep up with.

I'm so sorry about the loss of both your mom and your MIL :(  That is a lot of added stress on all of you, dealing with ADHD is rough all by itself.