GERD

iVillage Member
GERD
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:12am

I know that there is a bacteria Heliobactor pylori that is usually the culprit in acid reflux and was wondering if anyone has been treated successfully with antibiotics for it?  My doctor just gives me the "purple pill" and I don't like the side effects of that either but I was told the side effects of the antibiotic regiment is very bad and that most likely everyone in my family will have to be treated because the bacteria can be transfered by a kiss and sharing of food and utsentils.  I've also read that sometimes the treatment doesn't work because there are resistant strains out there now. 

If anyone has gone through this with their family successfully I would like to know how you feel now and if it was worth it.

Thanks,

Katy

Community Leader
In reply to: okmom2007
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 5:04pm

Not all GERD is caused by Heliobactor pylori. There is a simple breath test that can be done to see if you have H pylori. You should have that before getting any antibiotics. I don't offhand know anyone who has had the treatment, so I am not sure about your other questions.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 4:06am

Hey gerd is a abdominal disease i think... is it or not?

Community Leader
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 5:08pm
GERD stands for gastro-esophageal reflux disease (or maybe disorder?). It is basically a condition where stomach acid backs up into the esophagus causing heartburn and/or other problems.