Gray hair.............. What does it say to you?

iVillage Member
Gray hair.............. What does it say to you?
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 7:52am

I was looking at this slide show and found Anderson Cooper's comment interesting. 

"In fact, in just about any line of work being prematurely gray is an advantage. On a guy, gray hair says, 'I'm mature, stable. I can be relied on.'"...

Do you agree with him?  Does gray hair mean something different for women?  Do you dye your gray?

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2012 - 5:52pm
I have a lot of gray hair and it doesn't bother me. it is a sign of wisdom and knowledge. Why dye it when it will come back?
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 1:52pm

When I think of men with grey hair lots of thoughts come to mind:

Anderson Cooper is right...mature...reliable...distinguished...etc.

Grey up top also means grey down below.  And that is just not a pretty sight, especially considering my generation leans more toward hairless down below anyway.

I could learn a ton from him about work, business, finances, the world.  I've always wanted a mentor.

He's successful.

He's probably a dad.

Too old for me to date.  This one is challenging because for a guy to be grey I expect him to be 50+ which really is too old for me to consider dating.  But now more and more guys in their 30s are grey and that is my dating age range.  I certainly don't want to be on the arm of some old guy with grey hair and I really don't want to be on the arm of a young guy who looks old because of his grey hair.

Not sexually appealing.  Yes these grey guys can be very sexy, but not sexy in the way that means I want them naked.

Does he not realize that salons do amazing natural looking dye jobs now? 

He probably hasn't had a medical check up in awhile and should have a full battery of tests run.

When I think of women with grey hair yes my thoughts are different:

She's widowed, divorced, or never married and has decided to just be alone.  Nothing wrong with choosing to be alone, but more grey women I meet claim this choice.

She doesn't think she looks old and none of her friends are willing to tell her she really does.

She's insisting on her grey hair as a statement against aging.  This reminds me of all the "feminist" statements some women try to make to prove whatever point such as not shaving your legs, not wearing bras, etc.  I don't get it and I find it annoying.

She's a mom.

I could learn a ton from her about work, business, finances, the world.  Only if she had a career and wasn't a stay at home mom.  A career woman would make a great mentor and I've always wanted one.  A stay at home mom probably wouldn't have any useful advice for me.

Not sexually appealing.  Grey women can be beautiful, but I can't think of them in terms of sex.  That'd be like saying my grandmother is sexy and she isn't she's my grandmother and she bakes and plays with her grandbabies. 

Grey up top also means grey down below.  And that is just not a pretty sight, especially considering my generation leans more toward hairless down below anyway.

Regular salon visits are too expensive and she hasn't found an affordable way of maintaining a dye job.

She's one of the few that landed a guy that thinks her grey is sexy.

She wears skirts and dresses more often than pants.

She probably still wears pantyhose.

If she paints her nails she sticks with neutral or nude shades.

Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 9:19pm

It's funny because I don't dye mine...I "earned" it...:smileywink:...

My ds said my hair is lighter now than when he was a baby...:smileyhappy:...

A guy I know recently dyed his, I didn't recognize him...it looks pretty good but honestly I thought his gray hair was really nice.

I guess it's what makes you feel good and makes you happy.

<3

ps an ex of mine wanted me to dye my hair he liked it but I actually said to him maybe he wished he was with someone else...kwim?

Nightangel