My Company Pulled the Rug Under Me!!!

iVillage Member
My Company Pulled the Rug Under Me!!!
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:18am
Hi,

I need advice from you.

My company pulled the rug from under me yesterday in the most shocking and disturbing way.

I am less than 2 weeks away from reaching my 90 day period (which would give me unemployment benefits) and the owners called me in for a meeting today and to make a long story short tried to say that I may not be a good fit for them. As I know I have done an amazing job I made a strong case for myself.

They said at first they wanted to give me a 2 week notice but that they later decided they would just cut me a check on the spot to cover those 2 weeks so I could just look for another job instead.

Basically, they want me out before I reach my 90 days. Why? To avoid having to pay unemployment and to find someone who can work 20 hour days for much less money - still very little (like some of their other workers).

Bizarre twist! 2 hours later I receive a text from one of the owners saying he might have me join one of his teams.

Honestly, the trust is broken. They know how hard I've worked and I feel disrespected and mistreated. They are just cheap, greedy and heartless.

I feel like they pushed me off a cliff today. One manager even asked me to hand her the keys (I didn't because I wasn't ready, requested a Monday morning meeting with HR).

This comes at a very bad time for me, when money is desperately needed.

Do I try to stay for one reason or another? Or do I immediately make my way out?

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks!
Community Leader
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 9:56am

I am very sorry to hear that!  When one of the owners said he wanted you to join one of his teams what did he mean?  If they just called you in to let you go, why would one of them turn around and text you about a different position?  Honestly, I would cut my losses and leave.  Were you somewhere else before that you can draw unemployment benefits from?  I would do what you can to polish up your resume and start looking for something else, but that is just me. 

Photobucket