Do you have a food mill?

Community Leader
Do you have a food mill?
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 1:25pm

I was watching Martha Stewart make marinara today, using a food mill.  That is one tool I have wanted since I was making baby food, but have never bought.  

Do you have one? I looked them up online, you can get one for as little as $12 or as much as $103 (no thanks).  

I'm planning my Christmas list and a food mill might be something my daughter would like; she also wants a grapefruit knife.  I hate to admit it, but after Mom died, my daughter and I RAN to the kitchen and tore it to pieces, looking for the grapefruit knife.  We never found it.  SIGH...

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 4:09pm

China cap...mine is HUGE; doesn't it make you wonder where this stuff gets named?  

Guitars are used to make pasta.  
Mandolines are used to make julienne (I'm sure Julie Anne should be warned)

China cap?  OH, the possibilities...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 3:45pm

For me a food mill would be a waste of space, I'm not one to use much energy when making a meal, if my blender, mixer or  food processor cant do it neither will I.  My mother used an old China cap for all her canning and cooking.  From summer to fall that thing was always being used, she probably still has it.  As a child I always thought China men must look funny and why did they wear hats with those holes, made no since.

I do have and love my grapefruit knife!! It has the curved end and a separated blade end to cut the segments from the membranes.

PattyK

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
Community Leader
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:40am

YEP, it was a grapefruit knife.  I'm a grapefruit eatin' FOOL and Daddy brought it to me when I was about 13.  Curved tip on the blade cut the grapefruit sections underneath as well as along the membrane.  I did not take it when I left home.  My daughter lived with my mother when she was in college, and she TOO fell in love with the grapefruit knife.  

I've never used a grapefruit spoon.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 4:39am

I use to  use a food mill, but when I moved after DH died, that was one thing that was left behind. :smileysad:

Pete got grapefruit spoons that we use to eat grapefruit, are you sure it was a grapefruit knife she used?  :smileyhappy:

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
Community Leader
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 8:55pm
Yes I do have a food mill its a great item for the kitchen... I have seen them in a thrift store for a bargain... I do my pumpkin for my pies...

I have some grapefruit spoons that I use for my grapefruit... I to have a knife for grapefruit but the spoons are so much nicer.... Everyone has one here to use....
Your mom must of put it in a place you haven't conquered..
<

Pages