Mom has had a stroke

Community Leader
Mom has had a stroke
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 2:14pm

On Thursday morning, Mom suffered a mild stroke. She remains in the hospital and all we know is that the doctor has ordered that she remain hospitalized for a "few days." (He's to call us soon.) She has limited use of her left arm and hand. Although her speech is understandable, it just doesn't sound like her. (Difficult to explain.) She now has a fear of walking (because she fell when the stroke struck) and refuses to get up and try. They finally inserted a cath because she has no control over her bladder. When I walked in and saw her patting her left arm and babbling, I knew right away what had happened.

I'm sure that her living alone days are over, but I don't know where else she can go. Medicare only pays for 90 days for assisted living or nursing home. We simply do not have the room in our house for her. And she has 3 cats that we cannot have in our home. It's one day at a time again and I'm too exhausted to even think beyond this day. Thursday night I only got 4 hours sleep and so last night, I took a sleep aid and was finally able to rest a bit. I've been up late every night and I'm always an early riser (I call it my built in alarm clock.), so sleep is very welcome at this time.

We will be going up to see her again today and hopefully, there will be a marked improvement. I really believe, though, that this is the beginning of the end. More news as I get it. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 10:24pm

~hugs~

So sorry to hear this Geri!

<3

Lorie

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 2:19pm

(((Geri)))

(((Geri's Mom)))

Geri, all I can think of right now is the trip you took with her.  I am so glad you were able to do that.  I'm sure you will never regret it.  You have done so much for her.  

I'm glad you were able to get some better sleep and hope you can continue to do so for the time being.

You and your mom are in my prayers.  Is she eligible for Medical Assistance?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

Community Leader
Tue, 10-16-2012 - 3:19pm

Geri,

I am so sorry to read this. There are social workers at the hospital who will help you with the next steps. Your mom may be eligible for rehab which Medicare will pay for. But what the future holds none of us knows right now. Just take it one day at a time. You have been such a wonderful daughter and you have done the best for her that you could. Now that she is being cared for please take some time to care for yourself. I am sending you a huge cyber hug.

Administrator
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 10:53am

Geri,

I am so sorry to hear about this. How is she doing? How are you holding up?

Karla

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 2:51pm

Geri...so very sorry to hear this....Check with your state or county ...often they have programs that will help pay for assisted care or nursing home care....

Hope she can get some help...so hard...I KNOW!

Hugs, Ruth